WIDE-BODY KIT FROM SCRATCH

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe that is the one he is referring to.
Didn't that leave kind of a bad taste for a lot of members? 

Marco and I could probably pop out our own design of a replacement lens. Wouldn't be anytime soon. I'm making the  vacuum box this weekend with my 10yr old boy. Then I need to wire up the oven I just dropped off at the shop. I will need to spend time perfecting the technique. Once I've finished my light panel there could be time to do something. It will depend more on Marco's time availability at the computer to make the initial buck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes - Just figured I'd throw it out there and see if anything sticks.  ;)

IMG_1186.PNGMy 13 yr old daughter and 10 yr old son helped me make up the box today. Love it when they watch and then participate in building things with me.

That Cobra looks down in its haunches sad, still got the Nitto's on the stang? Lol. My son is 42 and I still love it when he comes to help Dad.

That Cobra looks down in its haunches sad, still got the Nitto's on the stang? Lol. My son is 42 and I still love it when he comes to help Dad.
Cobra is just a week away from moving the battery from the undercarriage to the trunk and wiring the top switch. Then off to ceramic coating for the paint. Then complete FINALLY. Nittos on both cars.

I'm getting this popping up on my home computer. Anyone else? What do I need to do?

My 13 yr old daughter and 10 yr old son helped me make up the box today. Love it when they watch and then participate in building things with me.
Wow, even beveled the edges of the pegboard!  No hacks in that house!   ::thumb::
Lol. I read up on it before  we went ahead and it was suggested that it was beveled  so it wouldn't puncture th plexi when it was pressed over the perimeter.

IMG_1326.PNGThats the smaller box. This one however will be huge and is going to be the real challenge. My one piece, three stepped, louvered rear glass. The concept is to still have the original feel of the louver, since it's synonymous with the Mustang. The stock one is far to busy for this build so this has bolder smoother lines.  It's going to be clear however, the underside of each slat will be tinted semi dark while the 1-1/4" vertical stays clear. Under the outer perimeter, that sits on the polyurethane will be solid black. As if I will be able to look out the back of this thing lol. Marco is CNC-ing out the original buck today. We are likening it to the scales on the Pythons back.

IMG_1327.PNGAnother angle. Gonna need to bribe a pizza joint for the use of their oven LOL.

IMG_1331.PNGCut last night. Took 10 hrs. Looking great. Going to test fit it on the car next and make any tweaks it may need in the corners.

IMG_1341.PNGThe piece just resting on the car. There is about 1-1/2" of curvature that needs to be put in for the piece to match the stoc glass shape. That's next on the list- curving the MDF. As long as I convey what I'm thinking , Marco can make it real! Plus he's got an eye for design that could only help this cars presence.

That is going to look so sweet Angelo! It made me look back at the cobra's and it gives it such a cool race look. Can you show a closer look at the circular vent openings and how they work...I'm intrigued. How will this be attached...I see the screw detail and I recall you mentioning polyurethane (I assume a bed of poly)

Thank you. On my Cobra, I went with screws around the perimeter because the car calls for that extreme race look that I love so much. Instantly takes me back to vintage racing. The pop up vents are just a hole cut with a hole saw and the vent is squeezed together at the ends and slid through the hole into place. Once they are in, there is a small thin spring steel c-ring that goes into place for rigidity. To operate it you simply push it closed or lift it open and it can be turned in any direction in its hole. As for the mustang, I'm going for a more classy approach. I'd prefer to urethane the louvered glass piece into place without the use of screws. Also there won't be the use of any pop up race vents. This car will have air conditioning and therefore no need for cockpit air flow. The Cobra, a different story. Getting stuck in traffic gets a little warm on a hot summer day. I'm in the process of creating a buck that I will thermal vacuum form into a overhead console just above the windshield. It will fasten to the underside of the hardtop and house 4 120mm fans flowing 50 cfm each at the flick of a switch. Total weight of the console and fans is about 3 lbs.

IMG_1346.PNGIMG_1345.PNGI think these are the vents your referring too. Y

IMG_0094.JPGIMG_0082.JPGIMG_0091.JPGRemade the rear glass buck.  Put in an inch and a half height to the center of the glass to get the same radius as the original glass. Scoping out thermal forming companies to get it made. Marco and I figure the investment into making a heat source and vacuum table can just be put toward getting it made professionally. Also we've been playing with the tail lights and coming up with concepts. Now that we are successful with a couple of attempts we will have a finished piece to show this coming weekend.

Back