Will repro Ram Air flappers work with OEM plenum

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 mustang convertible(some day)
I have a original Ram Air plenum but the flappers/actuator encasements are missing. I was wondering if i bought the repro if I can use those pieces. I know they use to sell them separate but I cant find them anymore.

I don't have the Ram Air optoin on my Mustang but I am curious. I see it is vacuum driven. What is the vacuum source? Does the manifold vacuum actually 'close' the flappers and they open under load (low manifold vacuum)

Yes, you can hear them close when you shut off the motor
Oh, I get it. You are saying that stopped and in park (maximum manifold vacuum) the manifold vacuum is holding them 'closed'. When there is no vacuum (under load) there is a spring or something that opens them.

Cool.

Yes, the high manifold vacuum holds the flappers closed under normal driving. Full thottle causes very low manifold vacuum, allowing the flappers to open...conveniently, just when you need it. Simple and elegant system.

Yes, the repro flappers will fit perfectly on an OEM plenum.

Last edited:
Yes, the high manifold vacuum holds the flappers closed under normal driving. Full thottle causes very low manifold vacuum, allowing the flappers to open...conveniently, just when you need it. Simple and elegant system.

Yes, the repro flappers will fit perfectly on an OEM plenum.
Kit,

Good to hear. Funny thing about my current ones. The cases that i have where the flippers would go don't look like they ever had flippers. Nor do I see holes where the actuators would go. Did they make some ram air without flippers?

"Default" position with egine off is flappers open. Manifold vacuum at idle closes them so you can drive under normal conditions without ingesting water or other unwanted contaminants into your intake system.

I believe the assumption by Ford is that the only time you would operate the car under full throttle would be in dry weather, precluding any unwanted stuff from getting in your engine.

The flapper scoops you describe sound like the aftermarket repros sold by Leon at "fordramair.com". He made them without an actual working flapper for simplicity and to keep costs down. They are open full-time, so water-ingestion is a possibility in heavy rain driving.

Last edited:
Back