Window won't roll up

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmcgill89

Reaction score
My Car
None
The passenger side window on my '73 Hardtop went down yesterday, but won't roll back up. I can crank and crank, but nothing.

I'm worried that the regulator is shot, but I've been told that it's just some sort of "stud bushing" that is messed up.

Anyone had this problem and know of a fix?

Thanks,

Joe

Same problem that you mention here I am facing. but I am afraid that still there is no response from the users. Please pause a message here.

Looks to me like the '71-'73 window regulator is a pretty simplistic piece. It's not a scissor type like the earlier ones.

I'm fairly sure that Mine has popped off the track where the arrow is pointed in this picture. I think that's where the "bushing" my friend told me about is located. Unfortunately, I think I've purchased the wrong one, as I was given the part number for the one they used on the older cars.

Same problem that you mention here I am facing. but I am afraid that still there is no response from the users. Please pause a message here.

173_0306_wind_24_z.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It could be

splines on the handle or regulator

regulator is bad

Came off the track

You need to pull off the panel and see what is not moving

Don

73 Is a pain to work on because the glass is riveted in and usually has glue and some cars have an additional side crash bar inside the door that gets in the way of getting at the regulator.

I think you can swap a 71,72 regulator in but you have to modify the glass to put bolts through the glass. not 100% sure.

either way panel has to come off.

which means pulling the glued cover off the regulator to get at the screw.

take the handle off and the chrome cover. Now just to be sure, look at the back of the window handle and make sure the splines are not stripped out.

unscrewing the lower plastic cup that is behind the door latch. 2 screws.

that should release the lower door handle as well.

then popping the panel out, watch for the spring that is behind the window crank handle. (this just pushes the door panel cover out to meet the window crank handle so it looks nice.

pop the bottom of the panel out first then work your way up to the top the top of the panel with the window whiskers is sort of hung over the door so lift it up to get it off the door frame.

then pull down the watershed paper/film

and you can see inside the door.

the more options your car has like door speakers, electric windows, makes it more a pain in the butt to get inside.

from there you can see what broke.

Back