Wiring harness oddity.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BubbaZanetti

Reaction score
My Car
71 Mach 1.
Hello, question for the group. The large green connector for the wiring harness on the dash side has a light green wire opposite diagonal corner of the plug from the big yellow power wire. On the engine side of the harness, there is a red w yellow hash wire it connects to. The engine harness is a 1971, the dash harness may be either a 72 or 73. I can't find this light green wire in any of the diagrams except for where it connects from the steering column to the stoplight switch. There is no light green wire in any of the diagrams running to the engine harness that I can find. No hashes no stripes anywhere on this wire. What is it for, and should it be connected to a red wire yellow hash at the wiring harness connector?

That (wire number 469) is the power feed for the seat belt warning, runs from a purple-white wire (#520) at connector 27 to the red-yellow hash wire (#640) at connector 156 or 157 (depending on year).

It can be seen in the 1972 wiring diagram (available in this forum in the 7173 Wiki) at zone D16 to H16.

This wire? Number 469?
Yup, I think so.
That (wire number 469) is the power feed for the seat belt warning, runs from a purple-white wire (#520) at connector 27 to the red-yellow hash wire (#640) at connector 156 or 157 (depending on year).

It can be seen in the 1972 wiring diagram (available in this forum in the 7173 Wiki) at zone D16 to H16.
Excellent! Thanks for the assistance, in identifying this wire and it's purpose.

The 1971 underdash should have a red/yellow at that position. The green wire is for the 1972 underdash. It may be you have a 72 underdash and a 71 headlight harness. They're largely compatible except for emissions control and seat belt relay.
To prove you have a 72 underdash, look on the RH side of the harness, somewhat near the relay panel, and see if there is a pink square plug with 4 pins used and 2 pins blocked off; if you do, that is definitely a 72.

Back