Would you keep the original color of your car even if you dont like it?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As I have said before. These cars look their best in yellow. I will be painting mine the original bright red. I say choose your color wisely some colors just don't look good on these cars.

As I have said before. These cars look their best in yellow. I will be painting mine the original bright red. I say choose your color wisely some colors just don't look good on these cars.
I agree with you,these cars look the best in yellow and also will be keeping mine the original color of red.

well for me i think its all up to what vision you have for your car,if you like it that color you won't paint it and if you dont like it you will over time always say should i paint it or leave it orignal.i too like the cars to stay orignal but i love my 72 mustang convertible so i changed the color from wimblem white to orange with the black top and i love that color combo so im happy with me changeing the color.

well for me i think its all up to what vision you have for your car,if you like it that color you won't paint it and if you dont like it you will over time always say should i paint it or leave it orignal.i too like the cars to stay orignal but i love my 72 mustang convertible so i changed the color from wimblem white to orange with the black top and i love that color combo so im happy with me changeing the color.
Your car does look good I must say.

You could even take this step further and ask, "would you change anything?". I say, do whatever makes you happy. That's really why I have no aspirations in getting that is too sought after. ie- big block, 4-speed with all the options. Though I would love to have one, or a GT-500. But with mine, I won't feel as if I de-valued my Mach-1 if I add 4-wheel disk brakes, better handling suspension, fuel injected 520 stroker and a 6-speed magnum transmission. Of course it's just my opinion.

Interesting question because I'm struggling with this decision myself about 2 of my cars. I don't have the answer because they are both well optioned cars and I tend to like mostly original cars with period correct mods and added options - at least for the more major type items. I do like a nice modern radio head unit in whatever car I drive though. Paint & interior are the two biggest "major items" for me because they are the hardest to change back and the Marti report tells the true story from the factory.

There is a super nice 429 Mach 1 on eBay right now that is has been painstakingly restored to match the obscure factory paint markings in the various areas. It looks fantastic and I love the Black/ardent & white sports interior. HOWEVER, even though the car is perfect in every way, the Marti report says the car was Bright Red with the white sports interior. I'm really scratching my head as to why they would put that much effort into the car that they are selling and not paint it the correct color???

Per the eBay ad:

"PER MARTI A 1 OF 1 4 SPEED/AIR FROM THE FACTORY DEMO CAR.

CAR WAS ORIGINALLY A DEALER DEMO FOR MILLER FORD IN CALIFORNIA.  MR. MILLER'S PERSONAL DEMO CAR HE ORDERED FROM THE FACTORY WITH 4 SPEED AND AIR.  ACCORDING TO HIM, HE HAD TO BARGIN WITH THE FACTORY TO BUILD A 429CJ 4 SPEED WITH AIR BECAUSE AT THAT TIME "FORD WOULD NOT BUILD AN AC EQUIPPED BIG BLOCK CAR".  

THIS IS PERHAPS THE MOST ORIGINAL CAR I'VE EVER DONE A RESTORATION ON."

$T2eC16hHJGQE9noMcTLWBP7HGJ(Zlw~~60_3.JPG

$(KGrHqZHJBwE+J4F45pBBP7HJGfh9!~~60_3.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a super nice 429 Mach 1 on eBay right now that is has been painstakingly restored to match the obscure factory paint markings in the various areas. It looks fantastic and I love the Black/ardent & white sports interior. HOWEVER, even though the car is perfect in every way, the Marti report says the car was Bright Red with the white sports interior. I'm really scratching my head as to why they would put that much effort into the car that they are selling and not paint it the correct color???

I agree totaly...Why go threw soooo much for non original paint?,,,You mite as well have a Chip Foose style paint job by that point...Cause its just for you then...It will not make the car worth anymore....And of cource it is there car to do what they want...But why go all original but not just the paint. then sell it? What a poor choice in my book...But thats how i feel about it..lol

I agree totaly...Why go threw soooo much for non original paint?,,,You mite as well have a Chip Foose style paint job by that point...Cause its just for you then...It will not make the car worth anymore....And of cource it is there car to do what they want...But why go all original but not just the paint. then sell it? What a poor choice in my book...But thats how i feel about it..lol
+1 I feel the cost of a repaint of this caliber of car should be concerted in the the selling price. To get the money for the car it needs to be correct.

Usually with my car I like to keep it the color it came with. With this 73 we have its going back yellow cause I wanted it to stay that way and my dad likes yellow 71s (its getting 71 stripes). But I will change it if im doing a similar color that isnt factory to the car (like my 2A GT which I think is getting a new Ford red color) or if I wanted say a Brown 85 GT (Clove brown was available on the LXs but not the GTs).

O but to add i'll say that if its your car do what you what with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have it the way you want it mate, its your car, to be honest I think the colours they came out of the factory were pretty grim to say the least, new mustangs have better colours because they are available, mine was that shitty yellow colour when new, then someone painted it black which looks way cooler, Im getting it painted next year and Im going to keep it black but maybe a nice metalic and I might put the shelby stripe over the roof, theres no rules , just what looks best in your head. dont be a sheep, be creative.........

If you want to keep the car and you just can't stand the color combination, then pick an originally available color combination and go for it. While the value of 71-73 is coming up they are not $100K + cars. Would I do a color change on a 67 Shelby GT-500 or a BOSS 429...... no. Just my opinion. Chuck

interesting topic! my second horse was primed gray, and i don't think I inquired to the original color, but went red, like my first horse. my third horse was maroon, but really purple and it was awesome with the black vinyl top. Now I have a Wimbeldon white on my 71 , and while i've seen nice white 'stangs, they usually aren't of the Wimbeldon quality. I was contemplating grabber yellow with the black vinyl top and black mid hood section..but..it seems yellow is too popular.

I'm thinking of grabber orange eventhough it wasn't a 71 color. I want the attention that yellow or orange will bring. I want to turn people's heads. I's not going to be show quality anyway. As for changing other things, i'm changing the interior from ugly ginger to black, which is much sleeker.

I'm thinking of grabber orange even though it wasn't a 71 color. I want the attention that yellow or orange will bring. I want to turn people's heads. I's not going to be show quality anyway. As for changing other things, i'm changing the interior from ugly ginger to black, which is much sleeker.
The HOK candy Tangerine Orange is attention getting.

8427060005_large.jpg

The HOK Tangelo Pearl is also nice.

3934520095_large.jpg

willys-hendrick-1a-560x398.jpg

My personal favorite orange...

Victory motorcycle color nuclear sunset.

OM0Z9406.jpg

My opinion is (its all about getting looks and smiles) i do know if i park next to really nice car of the same stature thats painted in boring colors, pretty obvious which one will get the attention:)

DSCF2398.JPGDSCF2400.JPGDSCF2407.JPGDSCF2405.JPG

I probably would keep it the original color. They look good almost any color. My original Mach I was that 73 green and I actually liked it. But come to think of it, before it got totalled I was going to paint it silver.

I passed up on a dark green one, it had a cleveland and a 4 speed, because it didn't have AC and it had a green interior. I just don't like the green interior.

I say you got to love what you drive and it should please you first and foremost. Make it yours and enjoy it.

Mine was originally red with red interior. It is now dark green with black interior. In other words its your car paint what you want! If it was a rare car I would think twice otherwise make it yours.

Back