Would you keep the original color of your car even if you dont like it?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did and I don't. lol My car has always been bright red and even though it not completely stock, I painted it red again. I prefer black or medium blue. I have a plan for how I want the car to turn out this time and felt that the original color was best suited for that. I think people that own these cars should do what they want to do with their cars and was it done is done. Maybe when I pass the car down to my son some day, he might want it another color:)

the only color that would make me want to repaint would be the maroon brown they had in 71-73, but otherwise I actually like the gold my car is (and was originally)

My opinion is (its all about getting looks and smiles) i do know if i park next to really nice car of the same stature thats painted in boring colors, pretty obvious which one will get the attention:)
Yep my car is bright gold and it definitely stands out in parking lots and at car shows w/ all your average blue,red,black,etc.

And the funny thing was I was actually just gonna say a dark highlandish green might look nice. Though I have to admit I'm not sure about all the bright yellow stripes on yours...but that's just me

Although having said that I had an 2000 V6 a few years ago that was electric green and I added the gold side stripes and it looked really nice. It stood out a bit, but it wasn't over the top desperate for attention,lol

simpsons04.jpg

And I have to say I really miss that car cause I still love the color

Last edited by a moderator:
I graduated from High School in '73, and remember walking home from school past a house that had a new model ( 71-73 ) convert sitting in the driveway. It was Medium yellow-Gold, and I thought it was the crappiest looking color back then...…………..fast forward to today and I own a '71 Mach 1 in Medium Yellow-Gold and I like it. I guess one's tastes change with maturity , as I've kept it stock mechanically and color-wise. If I were going to build it, hop it up, I'm sure I'd be apt to looking at some cool custom colors, along with custom rims/tires, pinstriping, you know, all that stuff. Back in the late 70s and 80s guys were cutting holes in their ram-air hoods for blowers and tunnel-rams, and the boulevard was full of modified muscle cars. Few were the original color.

When I came across my 71 J Code vert and saw the colour... I was less then impressed to say the least. However, this car is the embodiment of the sentiments for keeping certain car’s their original colour, regardless of preference. Even my painter asked me one last time if I wanted to change the colour... I told him I am paying you big bucks, paint it as if it is a stunning black B9... and he did. When the car was completed and you take a step back to really view the originality aspect, you can get a sense of why someone ordered the colour combination back in 1970... I guess, you would have to see the car in person and make your own judgement. Bottom line: A car completed to this level of restoration has to be kept its original colour, from both a history and value perspective or why bother...

1971 429cj convertible2.jpg

71 Vert Finished Pics17.jpg

I graduated from High School in '73, and remember walking home from school past a house that had a new model ( 71-73 ) convert sitting in the driveway. It was Medium yellow-Gold, and I thought it was the crappiest looking color back then...…………..fast forward to today and I own a '71 Mach 1 in Medium Yellow-Gold and I like it.  I guess one's tastes change with maturity , as I've kept it stock mechanically and color-wise. If I were going to build it, hop it up, I'm sure I'd be apt to looking at some cool custom colors, along with custom rims/tires, pinstriping, you know, all that stuff. Back in the late 70s and 80s guys were cutting holes in their ram-air hoods for blowers and tunnel-rams, and the boulevard was full of modified muscle cars. Few were the original color.
Back in 1975 I saw a 1973 convertible in Medium Yellow Gold (6C Medium Goldenrod) and loved how it looked with the black roof and white and black interior. Needless to say, I bought it. Regrettably sold the car in 1985 when my first daughter was born. I did not know back then how rare that color combination was back then, only 23 verts with white interior were made.

Well put 7173Vert! Unlike when I bought my yellow gold vert above back in 1975, it was not the case when I bought my 5M - medium copper metallic 73 vert many years later. I bought the car in 1995 and did not restore it until 2016. I struggled with changing its color as I planned the restoration over the 20 years the car sat. I finally, decided to stay with the original color and I am glad I did. My painter was not happy with me staying with the color, but it grew on him when it was done. Seeing the car in totality, I love the combination as a complete package and better appreciate the original owner's vision when they ordered it.

Rich

I purchased a 73 with Medium Yellow as the original color.  I like yellow cars so I decided to keep it yellow, just not the same medium yellow as it looked like too light. More like a yellow wanna be so the new color is like the Grabber Yellow.

[You can tell by how much dust got into the finish]

@pegleg, that's DIY metallic :)

My 71 was themed black/gold Hertz at some point with a massive airbrush artwork on the hood. I liked it in the 80's.

I'll bring it back to green/silver as in VIN and will try bring some balance to the whole. Same as @slowpoke17, giving a own twist, it will not be THE Ivy green that is having bits too much yellow in its composition for my taste. Just like my 73, I took time to pick/test spray variations of colours for my black/greys and greens. I have now serials and I can let each of the colours be composed in every shop, in uni or metallic on demand.

While the paint combo on itself will be near and in respect of what the original was, it's in the deco/stripes that I hope to be different from the classic but over used mach 1 theme.

It's all about personal taste, but If there is one part I think nobody should try to keep near the original color is the dashboard metal. A least for ginger and avocado interiors as in my cars. Man the paint they've used were ugly. Especially the avocado one, some weird old looking army colour, like if avocado could not have been something fresh to look at...

When I got my 73 Grande back in 1978, it was Wimbledon white with the black vinyl top. Within a year I had it repainted it to the brightest brilliant white I could find, and it really popped with the black top and chrome mags. I like the dark green metallic on my vert I have now, but if I needed to repeat it, I would think long and hard about tweaking the green. I just can't stop tinkering...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

[You can tell by how much dust got into the finish]

@pegleg, that's DIY metallic :)

My 71 was themed black/gold Hertz at some point with a massive airbrush artwork on the hood. I liked it in the 80's.

I'll bring it back to green/silver as in VIN and will try bring some balance to the whole. Same as @slowpoke17, giving a own twist, it will not be THE Ivy green that is having bits too much yellow in its composition for my taste. Just like my 73, I took time to pick/test spray variations of colours for my black/greys and greens. I have now serials and I can let each of the colours be composed in every shop, in uni or metallic on demand.

While the paint combo on itself will be near and in respect of what the original was, it's in the deco/stripes that I hope to be different from the classic but over used mach 1 theme.

It's all about personal taste, but If there is one part I think nobody should try to keep near the original color is the dashboard metal. A least for ginger and avocado interiors as in my cars. Man the paint they've used were ugly. Especially the avocado one, some weird old looking army colour, like if avocado could not have been something fresh to look at...
Avocado rules   :whistling:

Well, your avocado looks indeed fresh, mine was way over consumption date  :)

Here old 30+ yo picts of the "freshness". Even if the picts are bad, you can see its more army colour than avocado.

Never seen one looking as fresh as yours.

Well, your avocado looks indeed fresh, mine was way over consumption date  :)

Here old 30+ yo picts of the "freshness". Even if the picts are bad, you can see its more army colour than avocado.

Never seen one looking as fresh as yours.

Just having some fun... Many despise the colour, I don’t mind it at all, a true representation of the ‘70’s interesting colour availability... Yes, mine is still in very good shape, the car currently has original 49,999 mi on her, has been stored for many years before I got the car.i certainly understand your need to address your badly faded original avocado colour...

I still can't believe nobody said anything about my 'questionable colors' of Areola Pink, Avacado, and Grabber Puke so many years ago.   lollerz

Back