York compressor oil level check

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cribbs74

Reaction score
Hello all,

I finally got around to charging the AC on my sons 72 mustang. All went well initially, but after I shut it down and let it sit for an hr the compressor is making a grumbling sound.

I added oil initially before charging the system and it was at a level of 1”

After charging it was quiet and now after a restart roughly an hr later the compressor is making noise. This was a completely dry system to start. My question is can I add more oil once it’s been charged? or do I need to evacuate the system of refrigerant to check and add more oil?
Ron

I screwed mine up, but here is what you can try.

Turn the service valves to isolate the hose system. This means turning them all the way clockwise against the hose seat. You then have the compressor out of the loop. Be sure to follow fill level instructions for the compressor. After you are satisfied with the oil level, evacuate the compressor through the service valves. ( At this point the Schrader valves should be open to the compressor only. Once you have evacuated the compressor, remove the vacuum pump and open the compressor to the rest of the system by turning the valves counter clockwise. Top of your freon and you should be good.

Are you running R12, R34, or R134?

Someone check me on this advice. I am NOT an AC service guy, just a guy who has restored my own Mustang..

kcmash

Thanks for the reply and assurance that I won’t lose my full charge. I am a little confused about the steps as when the oil plug/bolt is removed it will immediately purge the pump. Your steps say to purge after checking the oil level. I don’t see how that is possible unless I didn’t comprehend something.

Also, to answer your question I am using R134. The fill ports have been changed from Schrader to 134 style. Also the lines and other small parts have been converted as well.

Ron

Thanks for the reply and assurance that I won’t lose my full charge. I am a little confused about the steps as when the oil plug/bolt is removed it will immediately purge the pump. Your steps say to purge after checking the oil level. I don’t see how that is possible unless I didn’t comprehend something.

Also, to answer your question I am using R134. The fill ports have been changed from Schrader to 134 style. Also the lines and other small parts have been converted as well.

Ron
Point taken. My steps are assuming you will loose the charge from the compressor when you remove the oil fill plug. If the service valves are set properly to isolate the lines, then the only thing that should discharge is the compressor. Of course I am unsure of your first question as to whether you can add more compressor oil without loosing charge. I assume the answer to that is yes, you will lose the charge.

Kcmash

It’s done. A little more residual pressure in the pump than I anticipated. However the oil was indeed low. i topped it up and the pump is quiet and it blows cooler than when I started. I certainly appreciate your help. Thanks for your time!

Ron

Pleased be aware the refrigerant oil for R-12 is not the same, nor is it compatible with the refrigerant oil needed by R134 systems. If you simply began to use R134 without draining the old oil out, and using the proper
R134 compliant oil you will have problems.

Back