I'm enranged

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Larry Knapp, that's a name I hadn't heard in many years. Yeah, he was the real deal
https://www.bing.com/videos/rivervi...DD5920380821374D3F68DD5920380821374&FORM=VIRE
Yeah, Larry and I met thru Valley Head Service, when I was the engine builder there. He would always bring in cammer heads to have worked. Then, one day, he came into the engine room and we were just jawing about this and that, when he told me Earl Wade had passed. Earl wade was his engine builder. Earl is the guy standing off to the right side of the front fender in the video you posted. Larry asked me if I would be interested in putting another cammer together for him, and of course, I said "anytime". Those engines are so fun, interesting, and I had a few epiphanies during the process. He trusted me, which is a compliment, as Earl Wade was a Master, and I had to fill his shoes. Larry has another car too, which is equally cool. Here are a few photos of Larry's cammer going together.

Attachments

• IMG_3281.jpg
    IMG_3281.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3282.jpg
    IMG_3282.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3285.jpg
    IMG_3285.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3286.jpg
    IMG_3286.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3287.jpg
    IMG_3287.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3293.jpg
    IMG_3293.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Yeah, Larry and I met thru Valley Head Service, when I was the engine builder there. He would always bring in cammer heads to have worked. Then, one day, he came into the engine room and we were just jawing about this and that, when he told me Earl Wade had passed. Earl wade was his engine builder. Earl is the guy standing off to the right side of the front fender in the video you posted. Larry asked me if I would be interested in putting another cammer together for him, and of course, I said "anytime". Those engines are so fun, interesting, and I had a few epiphanies during the process. He trusted me, which is a compliment, as Earl Wade was a Master, and I had to fill his shoes. Larry has another car too, which is equally cool. Here are a few photos of Larry's cammer going together.
Sexy pictures!

How did you deal with the cams not being on the same intake centerline due to the length of the chain? Advance or retard one or the other? Was one side ground differently?Chuck

I have never been a fan of cutting a hood that already has a scoop on it. The scooped hoods have such style and flair. I have seen this many times over the years on many different types of cars and I still dont get it. If you have to shove something through the hood, go buy a flat hood and cut it. Keep your original scooped hood to fall back on when you come to your senses.

I think he meant "enraged", but a typo put an "N" in it.

That's some kind of an engine. Would have loved to have been able to have gotten my hands on one.

How did you deal with the cams not being on the same intake centerline due to the length of the chain? Advance or retard one or the other? Was one side ground differently?Chuck
Well, it's really not near as hard as urban myths make it out to be. Being that it has a right and a left camshaft, as opposed to one camshaft operating valves in both banks, you just check right and left centerlines as separate data. The camshaft sprockets are adjustable separately from each other, however you start with a red,white,and blue initial mark when installing the chain to the 3 sprockets. I had always heard that the right cam should be advanced further than the left, this being due to "chain stretch". Not so. Look at the photo of the camshaft chain, specifically the pivoting adjuster arm with idler sprocket. When you take up the slack in the chain, I've found that everything stays where it is except the right cam , which will actually move, as the chain adjuster arm pivots to take up slack, retarding slightly. The left cam doesn't get affected, or move, as chain slack is taken up. After going through the adjustment sequence and figuring out how much it is retarding, you can go back, give that right cam the added advance timing needed, so that when you do a final chain adjustment, it retards to the desired "advanced" position . Chains do stretch after running a marked length of time, as all timing chains can, but this is initial setting. Drag racer "Sneaky Pete" Robinson used to make a gear drive set-up for these engines, which alleviated the issue. Larry Knapp used a gear drive on his primary crank/cam stub drive, ( which still turns the oil pump/ distributor stub shaft) instead of a chain as is stock, so at least that isn't a variable in timing. Hopefully I described this accurately.

Well, it's really not near as hard as urban myths make it out to be. Being that it has a right and a left camshaft, as opposed to one camshaft operating valves in both banks, you just check right and left centerlines as separate data. The camshaft sprockets are adjustable separately from each other, however you start with a red,white,and blue initial mark when installing the chain to the 3 sprockets. I had always heard that the right cam should be advanced further than the left, this being due to "chain stretch". Not so. Look at the photo of the camshaft chain, specifically the pivoting adjuster arm with idler sprocket. When you take up the slack in the chain, I've found that everything stays where it is except the right cam , which will actually move, as the chain adjuster arm pivots to take up slack, retarding slightly. The left cam doesn't get affected, or move, as chain slack is taken up. After going through the adjustment sequence and figuring out how much it is retarding, you can go back, give that right cam the added advance timing needed, so that when you do a final chain adjustment, it retards to the desired "advanced" position . Chains do stretch after running a marked length of time, as all timing chains can, but this is initial setting. Drag racer "Sneaky Pete" Robinson used to make a gear drive set-up for these engines, which alleviated the issue. Larry Knapp used a gear drive on his primary crank/cam stub drive, ( which still turns the oil pump/ distributor stub shaft) instead of a chain as is stock, so at least that isn't a variable in timing. Hopefully I described this accurately.
Thank you! Chuck

Well that Mustang is for sale here for those who like this kinda thing ... https://www.carsforsale.com/vehicle/details/105285543 ... I found it as I was mousing around looking for a decent Mustang.

I suppose this would be the British equivalent... sorry if we differ in opinion, but I find it pure tasteless vandalism 👎

Jag copy.jpg
Yep I photoshopped it just to make the point

Last edited:
I have never been a fan of cutting a hood that already has a scoop on it. The scooped hoods have such style and flair. I have seen this many times over the years on many different types of cars and I still dont get it. If you have to shove something through the hood, go buy a flat hood and cut it. Keep your original scooped hood to fall back on when you come to your senses.
I agree with Mark. That Mustang would look a lot better if it had a flat hood with the two fours coming through. The NACA hood with the two fours just looks too "busy".

Well that Mustang is for sale here for those who like this kinda thing ... https://www.carsforsale.com/vehicle/details/105285543 ... I found it as I was mousing around looking for a decent Mustang.

I suppose this would be the British equivalent... sorry if we differ in opinion, but I find it pure tasteless vandalism 👎

View attachment 91387
Yep I photoshopped it just to make the point
An E reg (67) E type totally ruined. The guy who did this should be shot and pi**ed on!

An E reg (67) E type totally ruined. The guy who did this should be shot and pi**ed on!
The Scots didnt just invent Whisky....In 1284 they also invented what is called a "bottle dungeon" ... basically a prison deep in the ground shaped like a bottle. It means, no need for a warden, no running costs ... the people who perpetrated the crime just rot at the bottom of it.
Automotive crimes against engineering should be included. :giggle:👍

...if the car in my first was post was straight - I might have considered it... but because some moron with the IQ of a fishing hook went around with a can opener ... well all I can say is..

...there isnt enough vomit on planet earth to hurl

Last edited:
The Scots didnt just invent Whisky....In 1284 they also invented what is called a "bottle dungeon" ... basically a prison deep in the ground shaped like a bottle. It means, no need for a warden, no running costs ... the people who perpetrated the crime just rot at the bottom of it.
Automotive crimes against engineering should be included. :giggle:👍

...if the car in my first was post was straight - I might have considered it... but because some moron with the IQ of a fishing hook went around with a can opener ... well all I can say is..

...there isnt enough vomit on planet earth to hurl

So, this hunt for a new Mustang is an emotional journey for you, eh?

1sostatic, rare back man, I love my Factory car as much as any of you, yes, YOU, but the car with carbs thru the hood was not so horrible, as to posting a video of a marionette vomiting. Lest we all forget, there was a time, during the gas crunch when you couldn't even give away a muscle car. Hemi 'cudas, 427 Vettes, Shelbys.........back then, you had to almost give the car away, value be damned. Before the gas crunch, they were just used cars, and even if you did cut a hood, there were plenty of spares about. My particular memories of High School have many, many images of cars with carbs through the hood, radiused rear wheel wells, big flared wheel openings, it was what was going on, on the street . Have you ever seen "Two Lane Blacktop"? those big Pro Stock style hood boxes were everywhere back then too. Besides, that Mustang car was pretty well done, giving credit it's due. No whining......lest I force you to listen to some stupid girl sing the National Anthem at a MLB game!

Last edited:
Back