car weight

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1 Q code
2007 GT
1969 Cougar Eliminator B302
CSX 7000 Shelby Cobra FIA
2020 Edge ST
2002 F250 V10
The question of how much do the cars weigh has come up several times. I had my car scaled today using a four corner race car scale system. With approximately 13 gallons of fuel, without driver, it weighed 3583 lb.. The fuel weighs about 80.6 lb.. It is a 72 Mach 1, AC, PS, PDB, Magnum 500 wheels, space saver spare and jack, full exhaust, 351C, and C6. It does have headers and an aluminum intake that make it a bit lighter. It has a 7 quart oil pan, a +2 quart cast aluminum trans pan, and a large trans cooler that make it a bit heavier. With no driver, the corner weights are; LF=1044, RF=1043, LR=756, RR=741. 58.25% front, 41.75% rear. While this does not answer the question for cars equipped differently it does give some insight as to what the cars actually weigh and dispels the myth that these car are much heavier than the 69-70 cars. Chuck

Awesome! Thank you Chuck!!! This has been an ongoing question for some time and your hard data shines a bright light onto the topic.

It looks like relocating the battery to the RR trunk area may help to balance our cars a bit but probably wouldn't be a noticeable mod for a street driven car.

Last edited by a moderator:
The question of how much do the cars weigh has come up several times. I had my car scaled today using a four corner race car scale system. With approximately 13 gallons of fuel, without driver, it weighed 3583 lb.. The fuel weighs about 80.6 lb.. It is a 72 Mach 1, AC, PS, PDB, Magnum 500 wheels, space saver spare and jack, full exhaust, 351C, and C6. It does have headers and an aluminum intake that make it a bit lighter. It has a 7 quart oil pan, a +2 quart cast aluminum trans pan, and a large trans cooler that make it a bit heavier. With no driver, the corner weights are; LF=1044, RF=1043, LR=756, RR=741. 58.25% front, 41.75% rear. While this does not answer the question for cars equipped differently it does give some insight as to what the cars actually weigh and dispels the myth that these car are much heavier than the 69-70 cars. Chuck
Only one thing you forgot...The weight of the oil too.....curb weight does mean dry with out any oil or fluids in her...30 pounds of oil in a car..oil is little under 2 pounds per quart..1.77 i think....and how ever much water in the radiator too..lol...So you can almost safely take away more than 100 pounds from your weight just in fluids....But yes....they are lighter according too alot of curb weights i read than 69 or 70's

Think ill do the same...Go over and get my weight when i get her on the road.

Only one thing you forgot...The weight of the oil too.....curb weight does mean dry with out any oil or fluids in her...30 pounds of oil in a car..oil is little under 2 pounds per quart..1.77 i think....and how ever much water in the radiator too..lol...So you can almost safely take away more than 100 pounds from your weight just in fluids....But yes....they are lighter according too alot of curb weights i read than 69 or 70's

Think ill do the same...Go over and get my weight when i get her on the road.
I think you mean about 9lbs of oil and 20 lbs water. Right?

A bit higher than what I anticipated from looking through some other references on the web

Feature Measure

Body Length 189.5 inches

Body Width 74.1 inches

Body Height Hardtop 50.8 inches

Body Height Fastback 50.1 inches

Wheelbase 109.0 inches

Weight Fastback 3057 lb

Weight Hardtop 3087 lb

Trunk Capacity - Fastback w/ rear seat up 8.3 cu-ft

Trunk Capacity - Hardtop 9.5 cu-ft

I am trying to get an estimate on weight in anticipation of purchasing a new daily driver and plans to purchase and tow and enclosed trailer. I had been planning for 7K pound towing capacity for car and trailer(3000 - 3200lbs). I think I am still OK plannng at 7K maybe just a little closer than I would prefer.

I wonder why so much weight on the LR when the spare is on the right side.

I wonder why so much weight on the LR when the spare is on the right side.
It is likely the heavier spring needed to hold Chuck's massive weight. LOL

Maybe a variation on spring rate?

All in all it seems pretty well balanced. Nose heavy but balanced.

A bit higher than what I anticipated from looking through some other references on the web

Feature Measure

Body Length 189.5 inches

Body Width 74.1 inches

Body Height Hardtop 50.8 inches

Body Height Fastback 50.1 inches

Wheelbase 109.0 inches

Weight Fastback 3057 lb

Weight Hardtop 3087 lb

Trunk Capacity - Fastback w/ rear seat up 8.3 cu-ft

Trunk Capacity - Hardtop 9.5 cu-ft

I am trying to get an estimate on weight in anticipation of purchasing a new daily driver and plans to purchase and tow and enclosed trailer. I had been planning for 7K pound towing capacity for car and trailer(3000 - 3200lbs). I think I am still OK plannng at 7K maybe just a little closer than I would prefer.
Factory weights are shipping weights, generally the lightest version of a body style.

when my 72 mach 1 was shipped to Australia the shipping weight was listed as 3500lbs, 351c with a C6 all fluids still in the car and 1 gallon of fuel in the tank....

I think you mean about 9lbs of oil and 20 lbs water. Right?
No..he said he had a 7 quart pan...If a quart is almost 2 pounds..."not quite thou"....should be 11 or 12ish... And you cant forget the trans...think its more like 12 quarts or more...over 22lb...be over 30lb in just oil....i was low balling it....thats if its a automatic trans thou...that is not including the rad water.

Back