who you calling fat?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
72 convert 351c
sorry if this has been detailed here already. I have had many discussions with Mustang owners and fans and i always hear the same story about the "2nd generation" cars being "much bigger" and "a lot heavier" blah blah. reality check; 1970 Mach I wheelbase 108", Length 187.5", width 71.7", curb weight for 351c auto with a/c 3350lbs...the 1971 Mach I wheelbase 109", length 189.5", width 74.1" weight without fold down seat 3560lbs. so 210 lbs? really? 210lbs is the huge cultural difference in the Mustang culture? The weight can change on any given model; A/C? C4? C6? manual? fold down rear seat? Coupe! On my car i swapped out the cast iron water pump, intake, and heads for Aluminum. Original mag500's are steel. you can get 15" mag's in alum now also. throw in the driver weight differences and how much are we really talking now? the weight of a full vs half a tank of gas? Plus Ford added more sound deadening material in 71-73. Our cars will accept 17" wheels with 255 tires without modification, came from the factory with the better spindles, almost always came with power front discs, always have the highback buckets, we dont need to swap out the entire steering system to make our cars drivable, and finally, our cars WILL accept a real BOSS 429 engine without any shock tower modifications. So what car do you really want to own?

according to ford curb weights...the 69 and 70 are heavier than our 71-73..and yes we beat thing to death a few times on here;)..counts where you get your curb weight data too....according too alot of shop manuals i read...73 dry with no oil or fluid should curb out about 3,001 too 3200ish counts on options...I seen a few mustang on here with quite a few options go across a scale with gas and oil and fluids in car at only 3500ish ...Heck i wrote the editor of mustang mag over this...they state they curb out at almost 4,000 pounds..lol...wanna talk about wrong data.lol

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll take my 73 any day,plus theres more novelty about ours to me ,cause theres a lot less of them around. :p

My 71 351 was 3,400 wet on the scales. People think they are bigger because of the body lines. They "look" bigger. Same with the Cougars 7173. I get gripe all the time about my 71. Sorry but 71 weighs less than the 70. Ford saved a bunch of weight with different seats and other components. Although I have to say I couldn't believe how much the 73 urethane bumper weights when I pulled it off my 73 parts car. So much for federal crash standards.

Although weight plays a factor in most things in life, I believe a more important factor is how fast the rear end can move.

Although weight plays a factor in most things in life, I believe a more important factor is how fast the rear end can move.
And that's why race trucks are cool. As long as power/weight=fast it's gonna be fun.

My 71 351 was 3,400 wet on the scales. People think they are bigger because of the body lines. They "look" bigger. Same with the Cougars 7173. I get gripe all the time about my 71. Sorry but 71 weighs less than the 70. Ford saved a bunch of weight with different seats and other components. Although I have to say I couldn't believe how much the 73 urethane bumper weights when I pulled it off my 73 parts car. So much for federal crash standards.
To quote comedian Gabriel Iglesias....

Im-not-fat-Im-fluffy-cat.jpg

Back