Booster

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Fastback
2017 Fastback
I have been using parts from the parts at to convert mine to front disc brakes. I have all the parts (even the pedal) except for a booster. I checked all the part stores and no one has it.

Any thoughts or leads? I have a core but it needs replacing.

Autozone can have it usually within 2 days. Heres a link.... http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Cardone-Reman-Brake-Power-Booster/1971-Ford-Mustang/_/N-iq4r2Z8kn7z?itemIdentifier=740050_131640_8550_2867

Im sure advanced or any of the other should be able to get one. Probably not an in stock item though.
Tried them today. Even spoke with autozone by chat and they cannot tell me when they will get more (even though their website says they have it). Same story from everyone I have spoken with.

The stores claim they cannot even place an order, but can see it in the system.

Autozone can have it usually within 2 days. Heres a link.... http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Cardone-Reman-Brake-Power-Booster/1971-Ford-Mustang/_/N-iq4r2Z8kn7z?itemIdentifier=740050_131640_8550_2867

Im sure advanced or any of the other should be able to get one. Probably not an in stock item though.
Tried them today. Even spoke with autozone by chat and they cannot tell me when they will get more (even though their website says they have it). Same story from everyone I have spoken with.

The stores claim they cannot even place an order, but can see it in the system.
Well that sucks! Thats the route i was gonna take. I have the bracket pedal, mc, and booster at home but was gonna buy a new mc and booster and use mine for cores when i install them. Did you try NAPA?? I usually have better luck with them on harder to find items. Also partsgeek has worked for me in the past. http://www.partsgeek.com/lwntzz4-ford-mustang-brake-booster.html?utm_source=shoppingcom&utm_medium=pf&utm_content=dc&utm_campaign=PartsGeek+ShoppingCom&fp=pp&utm_term=1971-1973+Ford+Mustang+Brake+Booster+-+Centric+160.80146 good luck let me know what you find!!

I went through O'Reilly Auto Parts, and they told me they'd need a core to ship before the 'new' (or rebuilt) one would be on the way. Apparently, whomever is rebuilding them is out of stock themselves.

I finally got a response from Cardone (who rebuilds most of them) today. Here is their response

"I apologize this is not available at this time. You can send it in for rebuild thru one of our vendors, such as NAPA, CARQUEST or O’REILLY’S. It would take approximately 3-5 business days once in house for the rebuild process with an 80% chance we could rebuild your core. The vendor would also be the one that would give you pricing.."

I ordered through Summit and they seem to think they can get it ordered. I am going to wait them out and see. If not... I actually have 2 cores that could be rebuilt. Very frustrating...

Yup - it was Cardone doing the rebuild through O'Reilly's.

Well what ticks me off at all of my local parts stores is that no one ever offered it as an option. I spent the better part of the day looking for someone to purchase it from, only to be sent back to the place I started.

They sell a booster with the better 73 design and are very easy to do business with. Your choice. I just let you know a source. They will overnite too, for mo' money, mo' money !

They sell a booster with the better 73 design and are very easy to do business with. Your choice. I just let you know a source. They will overnite too, for mo' money, mo' money !
Thanks a ton. I am making a list of "gold plated" part houses. If I become desperate then I will hit them up.

Jeremycfr, I just went thru this. No one has them I tried everywhere. I lucked out found one on e-bay. A parts store in Atlanta had a rebuilt cardone on the shelf. Cost me $94 no core. The name is Autoparts Tomorrow phone # 1-800-547-2052. Can't hurt to try them.

I just got one not long ago from Discountautoparts.com. It's rebuilt and is resprayed. Whoever rebuilt it didn't do any "body" work on it, so it looks like they just sprayed over whatever surface was there. That said, it doesn't look too bad installed, and it works:)

Says in stock on their website.

Greg

Last edited by a moderator:
I just got one not long ago from Discountautoparts.com. It's rebuilt and is resprayed. Whoever rebuilt it didn't do any "body" work on it, so it looks like they just sprayed over whatever surface was there. That said, it doesn't look too bad installed, and it works:)

Says in stock on their website.

Greg
Spoke with them yesterday and again today. They don't have them, even though their website says they do. The problem.... A1 Cardone does not have any cores to build one. According to one of the parts stores, people have been crushing their cars and not saving the boosters. New ones are not being made so their using the orginal cores and with each year that passes, fewer cores still exsist.

Many sites claim to have them, but once you press them about actual inventory you will find that they do not have them in stock. Their assuming that they can get one from Cardone and based on my communication with them, that is not happening.

Rockauto.com...
Spoke with them this morning and they don't have them. It is a rebuild service which means send in your part, pay us the $$ and we charge you as if your buying a new one. Same story from every site I have visited. If I am going this route, I would rather throw business at one of my local stores since I will at least save shipping in one direction.

Last edited by a moderator:
do they have an aftermarket one you can use?

I have a booster and master cylinder from a 1977 cougar, how different is that one? any Idea?

I have manual 4 wheel drum brakes, and I'm thinking about upgrading next year with OEM parts, but now it seems like it might be with aftermarket parts :(

Back