Correct Yoke for 73 Mach 351c 2v FMX

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Mach Blue: 351C-2V, FMX, 9"-2.75
72 Coupe Red: 289(67)-2V, C4, 8"-3.0
I finally brought my 73 Mach 351c 2v FMX 2.75:1 stock 9" rear to the mechanic after it sitting in my garage for 10 years.

Mechanic calls the other day and says I need a new yoke to the trans and suggested I pull it off one of my parts cars. Unfortunately all my parts cars are C4 transmissions.

Can anyone here define the correct yoke and/or where to get one?

Thank you

I finally brought my 73 Mach 351c 2v FMX 2.75:1 stock 9" rear to the mechanic after it sitting in my garage for 10 years.

Mechanic calls the other day and says I need a new yoke to the trans and suggested I pull it off one of my parts cars. Unfortunately all my parts cars are C4 transmissions.

Can anyone here define the correct yoke and/or where to get one?

Thank you
pm sent

No details provided in pm
I 'm sure I have an FMX yoke out of a 71-3 Mustang w / 9 inch

But - when you asked for diamentions and spline count ?

What car are you needing it for ?

Last edited by a moderator:
No details provided in pm
I 'm sure I have an FMX yoke out of a 71-3 Mustang w / 9 inch

But - when you asked for diamentions and spline count ?

What car are you needing it for ?
I need it for the titled car, but I have conflicting info from various places. Some say 25 spline others say 31.

I'll ask the mechanic tomorrow what's in my car.

Per the mustangtek chart (though it doesn't show 73) the Ford part number I need is C3AZ-4841-A.

Thank you

Dang, If a 71-73 Mustang forum can't answer the spline question I'll have to have the mechanic pull it without a replacement

OK - I'm a little confused. You said you took the car to your mechanic... and he says you need an FMX yoke - what happened to the one that was in the car? Did he lose it? Did you lose it? Is it still in the car? Why not count the splines on the output shaft of the FMX since the yoke is no longer in the way (and apparently, this site's not equipped to give you the information you're after, despite Don's efforts to give you the hook-up :rolleyes: ).

My understanding is that C6=FMX=31 splines. C4=AOD=28 splines (with different lengths).

Where's the driveshaft in all of this? I'm willing to bet you'd find your FMX yoke attached to the front of the driveshaft.

OK - I'm a little confused. You said you took the car to your mechanic... and he says you need an FMX yoke - what happened to the one that was in the car? Did he lose it? Did you lose it? Is it still in the car? Why not count the splines on the output shaft of the FMX since the yoke is no longer in the way
My mechanic asked me to pull the yoke out of one of my other mustangs, but they are all C4s and aren't compatible. He told me the yoke needs to be replaced as that is the cause of the vibration. He will pull it back out and count the splines, but until then I was trying to track the correct one down.

(and apparently, this site's not equipped to give you the information you're after, despite Don's efforts to give you the hook-up :rolleyes: ).
Yes, Don said: "I have some". I asked "how much?". Still waiting for a response.

My understanding is that C6=FMX=31 splines. C4=AOD=28 splines (with different lengths).
So you agree with the chart I linked to earlier. Thank you.

Where's the driveshaft in all of this? I'm willing to bet you'd find your FMX yoke attached to the front of the driveshaft.
:dodgy:

OK - I'm a little confused. You said you took the car to your mechanic... and he says you need an FMX yoke - what happened to the one that was in the car? Did he lose it? Did you lose it? Is it still in the car? Why not count the splines on the output shaft of the FMX since the yoke is no longer in the way
My mechanic asked me to pull the yoke out of one of my other mustangs, but they are all C4s and aren't compatible. He told me the yoke needs to be replaced as that is the cause of the vibration. He will pull it back out and count the splines, but until then I was trying to track the correct one down.

(and apparently, this site's not equipped to give you the information you're after, despite Don's efforts to give you the hook-up :rolleyes: ).
Yes, Don said: "I have some". I asked "how much?". Still waiting for a response.

So you agree with the chart I linked to earlier. Thank you.

:dodgy:
"Needing a yoke" usually indicates "missing yoke" after having been stored for 10 years. No mention of the driveshaft lead me to believe that it was not on the car (hence my comment). :p

I'll see if I can find the one from my FMX when I get back to the shop on Friday - if my pal is not going to use my FMX in his Galaxie, I might be able to help you out. I swapped in an AOD and can't see ever going back (especially since I've made so many 'AOD-Friendly' changes).

"Needing a yoke" usually indicates "missing yoke" after having been stored for 10 years. No mention of the driveshaft lead me to believe that it was not on the car (hence my comment). :p

I'll see if I can find the one from my FMX when I get back to the shop on Friday - if my pal is not going to use my FMX in his Galaxie, I might be able to help you out. I swapped in an AOD and can't see ever going back (especially since I've made so many 'AOD-Friendly' changes).
And here I thought you pulling my leg. (Down falls of text, though it was kinda funny). Any assistance appreciated.

Yeah, an AOD must be nice. I think I need to get her roadworthy and pretty before I start down the road of never ending upgrade$.

I got crazy lucky with mine - a friend pulled into the Auto Hobby Shop with his '89 5.0 GT and wanted to swap in a T-5. After he pulled the AOD out, he asked what to do with it. I asked him how much he wanted for it, and he just gave it to me. I offered him some money, but he settled on, "Just pay my stall fees." $32 later, I had my AOD (with everything except the throttle/TV cable bracket and the yoke (since it also fit his T-5).

Like I said, crazy lucky on that deal.

Oh yeah - I'm nowhere near roadworthy yet. I just figured I might as well do it all once and be done. ;)

[

When I told you I had some - You asked for the spline count, measurements, and price

Sorry but when I get the " want / need measurements email "

I walk away - that usually is involving a custom application.

That usually ends up being a waste of time for the seller 9 out of 10 times - I don't do it anymore.

FMX yoke out of a 71-3 Mustang 25.00

Sorry if we had some miscommunication.

Don

Don
I'm thinking this will be the quickest way forward. If you get it ordered today, Don will probably even have it on its way sometime this week - rather than wait for me and this weekend to see if I still even have mine or not. ;) :D

Just sayin'

Sorry but when I get the " want / need measurements email "

I walk away - that usually is involving a custom application.

That usually ends up being a waste of time for the seller 9 out of 10 times - I don't do it anymore.

Sorry if we had some miscommunication.

Don
Understood. I was just concerned that different sites and vendors had different info.

Thanks Don.

I'll call you tomorrow.

The yolk is a 28 spline and will be much shorter that the original. The yolk you are looking for is commonly used, even today on jeeps. I got my yolk for my 71 Mach I at a pick a part from a 1996 jeep cherokee. Cost was $23. Works great and it beats getting aftermarket for $150-200. There was no need to mess with the drive shaft.

Now that the yoke has been installed I can finally set the record straight:

The yoke is 31 spline and something less than 7 inches for dimension "A". So the 8 7/32" shown on the mustangtek website is wrong.

Thanks for the yoke Don and to the rest who gave their best effort to answer. ::beer::

"Best Effort?!" Hey Man - I had the right guess... come on now, work with me. :D :D :D

Glad to hear you got it squared away. See, I even had the right advice in calling Don. Damn, I'm good. rofl

Back