Correct Paint Markings '73 H-Code (351C-2V)

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
Mustang Mach 1 Fastback 1973
Hey guys, I've been looking for some time now for solid sources or pictures for the correct paint markings for a '73 H-Code 351C 2V. The car is supplied with an FMX transmission. Unfortunately, the markings are no longer recognizable. Neither on the leaf springs nor anywhere else. Can you please help me out with more pictures and information? I also know that different markings were made on the components depending on the production site. such as the differential gear. Enclosed is the vehicle report, maybe this will help! Thanks in advance! BenMustang-Mach-1-01-01-1973-Deluxe-Report.jpeg

There is no definitive source for paint daubs and stripes. If the car has mostly original parts the dirt and grease can be carefully removed to reveal the markings. If you have a build sheet the colors will be listed next to the part. Decoding it takes effort and time. Even then, you don't know the size or type of marking. If you do not know for sure the color, placement, and type of marking, I suggest not marking it. More information may be on the Concours Mustang site. Good luck with your project. Chuck

I've seen somewhere on restoration shows and / or YouTube ( maybe it was the video on the 71 Boss 302) that if carefully done, soda blasting can remove old dirt and grime to reveal the original markings. However, I agree with Chuck. Done wrong, they look worse than not at all.
Case in point, is my own car. I only did the front coil springs, but kinda wish I had left them just repainted. There was some other markings that were visible, on the 4 speed g/box for instance and I just clear coated over it.
Here are the before and after pics of the springs. Colors were pink, gold and white.

Attachments

• IMG_0434.1.JPG
    IMG_0434.1.JPG
    131.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0436.1.JPG
    IMG_0436.1.JPG
    137.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0792.JPG
    IMG_0792.JPG
    836.8 KB · Views: 0
Back