stripe/ moulding details.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

Kit Sullivan

Over the years, i have seen many 71-72 mach 1s' with what I consider to be incorrect application of mouldings and stripes combinations.

This is what I think is correct:

Upon introduction in late 1970, the BOSS 351 came with the hockey-stick stripes as standard equipment. The lower paint-break featured a pinstripe that tied the lower paint into the hockey-stick, and no polished lower mouldings were attached.

The mach 1 did not come with the hockey-stick decals. this was to help further differentiate visually the BOSS 351 from the mach 1. The mach 1 came with a polished moulding on the lower paint break as part of the mach 1 trim package, not a simple pinstripe as on the BOSS 351.

When the BOSS 351 model was cancelled a short time later into the model year, the hockey-sticks then become a (popular) option on the mach 1. As such, when the hockey-sticks were optionally ordered on a mach 1, the polished mouldings were deleted and the pinstripe was substituted on the paint break.

I have seen many mach 1s' with both the hockey-stick stripes and mouldings over the years, and i am convinced that the side-stripes were probably added after the car left the factory.

Just my 2 cents.

One thing to be certain: there are very few 'absolutes' when it comes to what these cars did and did not come with. ;)

Stripes OR moulding was [supposed to be] the option - but not both. The theory on stripes vs. moulding is this: Stripes did not come with moulding, and moulding was installed onto Mach 1s (and other models) ordered without stripes.

Dealer installation of these kinds of optional things throws a wrench into the whole theory though.

The cars you see with stripes AND moulding trim are technically not correct. However, lots of people restore classic Mustangs (as well as other cars) with ALL options offered just because they can.

Stripes OR moulding was [supposed to be] the option - but not both. The theory on stripes vs. moulding is this: Stripes did not come with moulding, and moulding was installed onto Mach 1s (and other models) ordered without stripes.

The cars you see with stripes AND moulding trim are technically not correct.

+1

Over the years, i have seen many 71-72 mach 1s' with what I consider to be incorrect application of mouldings and stripes combinations.

This is what I think is correct:

Upon introduction in late 1970, the BOSS 351 came with the hockey-stick stripes as standard equipment. The lower paint-break featured a pinstripe that tied the lower paint into the hockey-stick, and no polished lower mouldings were attached.

The mach 1 did not come with the hockey-stick decals. this was to help further differentiate visually the BOSS 351 from the mach 1. The mach 1 came with a polished moulding on the lower paint break as part of the mach 1 trim package, not a simple pinstripe as on the BOSS 351.

When the BOSS 351 model was cancelled a short time later into the model year, the hockey-sticks then become a (popular) option on the mach 1. As such, when the hockey-sticks were optionally ordered on a mach 1, the polished mouldings were deleted and the pinstripe was substituted on the paint break.

I have seen many mach 1s' with both the hockey-stick stripes and mouldings over the years, and i am convinced that the side-stripes were probably added after the car left the factory.

Just my 2 cents.
I could not agree more. I would be willing to bet that most of the C stripes where dealer installed.

Kit, your info is correct. I have 2 original 71s one with and one without the side stripe. Marti backs this info up too in his books and reports.

Dealers could add the side stripe and they most likely would have left the bright lower trim.

Back