The little details seem to take forever!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug The Dog

I'm back!
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Convertible, 351CJ, 5 Speed. Currently being restored. Projected finish date is some day.....
Took me over two hours to do one emblem! I must have measured 20 different times. Once I had the measurements just right, it took me a little while to get up the courage to strike my car with a hammer and punch so the drill wouldn't slip. I started with a small bit, then increased sizes. Finally, I filed the holes until the clips fit snug and popped in the emblem. Guess I could have gone faster, but, I really don't want to repaint the car because I got in a hurry. Thanks much to JBOJO for the pictures and measurements from his car. That was a great help.

1065628_10201687884905622_80324807_o.jpg1063469_10201687960787519_247236897_o.jpg

Looks great ! I"ve wanted to do that as well ,but haven't had the nuggets to do it either. Maybe you guys with talent should develop a template for us fraidy cats . :p

FYI, you do know there are rubber inserts for the holes to help keep the Mustang signature snug, right?

They look a lot like the plugs that get put in the wall when your wife asks you to hang a picture, except they are rubber. They have a lip on them to keep them from pushing through and rattling in your fender well.

And, it looks like that paint could use a little more elbow grease. It only temporarily blinded me.

Little things might take forever but it's the little details the separate a great car from an amazing one. I think you did the right thing in taking your time and being extra sure. I have so far with my project and its already paid off more than once. That paint is outstanding!

oh you mixed up the right and left emblems.
DAMMITT!!!! Now I have to start all over!!!rofl

FYI, you do know there are rubber inserts for the holes to help keep the Mustang signature snug, right?
Hmmm...I think factory was metal barrel inserts. But I've been wrong before.
When I removed mine that was what was holding them on.

Doug, Your car is looking mighty fine!!!

-jbojo

Doug, car looks great!!! A little hint that helped me out. Instead of using a hammer and punch to center punch for drilling. You can buy a spring loaded punch from harbour freight pretty cheap and they work great! A lot less chance to slip and chip that beautiful paint!! Just push on it and it pops and leaves a nice center punch mark. I use it all the time for drilling out spot welds in sheet metal. Good luck with the other side!

Doug, what color is that blue?
I hate to admit this.... But, it's a 2005 Pontiac color. I wanted something close to Blue Glow Metalic, but with more depth. I spent two days at the body shop going through paint chips.

Instead of using a hammer and punch to center punch for drilling. You can buy a spring loaded punch from harbour freight pretty cheap and they work great!
+1 on that.

And, I definitely had rubber on my first OEM 73 Mustang. Not saying they didn't have metal, but I would prefer the rubber. Won't chip the paint.

My 70 XR7 has rubber.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back