11" drums at the rear

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Higgins56

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1 Fastback now with 503 CID 4 bolt block with AFR Bullit heads , Edelbrock Performer RPM AirGap intake and ProSystems carburettor 1050.
4 sp Toploader with 9" Wavetrac rear.
Caltracs and shocks at the rear.
The previous owner had installed 11" brakes with the 9" rear arrangement. However it was not finished missing some parts and adjustment in general, so the braking performance was poor.

Now they are being put back to their original specs with a question mark if they are too efficient.

Does anyone have experience when having big 11" drum brakes at the back. I have standard disc brakes at the front.

As the performance is better when compared to the originals ( 10+" drums) do they need any special adjustment when setting them in so that they do not mess up the whole braking when pressed hard - locking the reasr tyres too easily.

Another question - in which Ford models these 11" drum breaks were originally used ?

Higgins56,

The 11 inch brakes were installed on the Big Ford, LTD, Galaxie, (A) and Thunderbird (S) and Bronco (U)

mustang7173
Thanks,

aftyer a short test drive the rear brakes seem to perform well - not too powerful which I feared.

Back