7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wampers

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Grande Coupe
Bought it a few weeks ago about 60 miles away , it has a few issues , which im sure all of you have seen...

some of them were not that visible on the surface.

the roof for example to an untrained eye looked ok , i already seen it was completely bondo'd front to back , after removing the head liner padding you can see where the bondo has sagged thru some of the holes on the roof...

im still stripping the bondo off the roof as of this moment... it's not completely shot as it's just the outer skin that is bad , but it will take some major remodeling to get that straight again.i have seen where someone here made some roof supports so im planning on doing that and then rebuilding the roof in parts instead of one solid sheet.

the floor is pretty much gone , the torque boxes and frame rails etc are all looking good , she drives fine as i drove her an hour home , she runs great although i really don't know how many miles are on this engine it's in future planning to rebuild the engine as well...

the funny thing is the owner that had it before me already bought interior parts , i guess he was planning on just putting new carpet and new door panels in the car... which is absurd if you see the condition of the floor.

DSCN0013.JPG

DSCN0020.JPG

DSCN0021.JPG

DSCN0023.JPG

DSCN0015.JPG

DSCN0039.JPG

20140516_114546.jpg

Welcome to the site ...

Your with very familiar company here....

Guys, is there a way to check without a Marti whether it was born with a vinyl roof...

It could explain some things...

Last edited by a moderator:
Holy Mother of god!

Err, I thought that looked ok too, that is some world class Bondo skills right there. I kinda don't want to say this but wouldn't a better shell be in order? there seems to be quite a few coupes in need of rescue in dry states with destroyed rubber and no interior, and since this one has a good interior and running gear it would be sensible to swap it over, It'll save you a fortune and a whole lot of time.

Oh Hi from New Zealand by the way, I'm about to start restoring/Hotrodding a 73 Sportsroof my car has an interior and floor problem at the moment.

All the best with your Mustang, I'm looking forward to see how you get on.

Ben

P.s I'm willing to bet that's a ex vinyl roof car

charlie , i don't really care about the time .

the bondo skills were alright , it would have been better if he wouldn't have tried to paint it black , thats the worst color you can pick to do that with , also 1/8" thick bondo

won't hold very long , cracks are pretty much imminent if you do a whole roof like that. It started cracking and that's how i knew the whole roof was bondo'd , that and it wasn't a straight roof it had waves in it.

yes , im pretty sure this was a vinyl top at one point or another.

the good thing is i have a classic car junkyard about 20 miles away from me , i need to go look there to see if he has a 71-73 coupe in the yard with a better roof , and ill do a roof transplant , if not i'll just have to rebuild the roof..It's still doable although it's pretty rusted out.

just too bad noone makes a roof panel for these 71-73 , it's a pretty common issue to be found with ex vinyl tops.

Welcome from West Texas! Looks like the start of a great project. ::thumb::

Good luck with it!

Holy Mother of god!

Err, I thought that looked ok too, that is some world class Bondo skills right there. I kinda don't want to say this but wouldn't a better shell be in order? there seems to be quite a few coupes in need of rescue in dry states with destroyed rubber and no interior, and since this one has a good interior and running gear it would be sensible to swap it over, It'll save you a fortune and a whole lot of time.

Oh Hi from New Zealand by the way, I'm about to start restoring/Hotrodding a 73 Sportsroof my car has an interior and floor problem at the moment.

All the best with your Mustang, I'm looking forward to see how you get on.

Ben

P.s I'm willing to bet that's a ex vinyl roof car
If those black spots are holes in roof, then I agree, ask the guys in the southern states to find you a nice roller

I use the roller I got from Mike in SoCal and cut my vert up for parts

Coupe for coupe would be very fast to swap

800 should find a roller

800 will ship it any where

Paint the roller first

Do your swap out

Sell off your extra parts and you may break even

If the roof isn't that bad then the floors are not that hard to do

Food for though!

Buying a old mustang is like life

You get the tested first, then learn the lessons after

If I knew a 10 th of what I have learned on this forum before I buy my cars I would be driving one by now

But it's still very fun

Welcome and good luck!

Welcome to the site from virginia. Sorry to see that roof so bad. Might want to check that tail light panel for bonda as well. If someone went through that much trouble to do an entire roof I wouldn't be surprised if elsewhere on the car hasn't got the same treatment.

In case you haven't tried pour some water into your cowl vents and see if water comes inside the car. If so you have another big job on your hands.

If you feel confident in your ability to replace the roof then more power to you. I would thoroughly check the rest of the car and maybe start with a more solid shell like others have stated.

There's always some rust on these cars and shade tree mechanics love bondo. Half of my right fender was recreated with bondo. There's also bondo in my tailight panel. Good luck with whatever you decide and always know the people here will offer the best help you'll ever find for 71-73 mustangs.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using Tapatalk

Welcome!

FYI, there is a replacement roof for a '71-73 coupe on the Miami, FL Craigslist for $90. Worth it and more, IMO: http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/pts/4433979850.html

-Kurt
thanks cuda , i send the guy an e-mail seeing if he's willing to ship it...

Welcome to the site from virginia. Sorry to see that roof so bad. Might want to check that tail light panel for bonda as well. If someone went through that much trouble to do an entire roof I wouldn't be surprised if elsewhere on the car hasn't got the same treatment.

In case you haven't tried pour some water into your cowl vents and see if water comes inside the car. If so you have another big job on your hands.

If you feel confident in your ability to replace the roof then more power to you. I would thoroughly check the rest of the car and maybe start with a more solid shell like others have stated.

There's always some rust on these cars and shade tree mechanics love bondo. Half of my right fender was recreated with bondo. There's also bondo in my tailight panel. Good luck with whatever you decide and always know the people here will offer the best help you'll ever find for 71-73 mustangs.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using Tapatalk
i'm not scared of body work , i have some expert advice from dear old dad , i seen this man in the 80's shape complete fenders with chicken wire and expandable foam...and that's no joke... the man is a wizard with body work..

yeah , they did go thru alot of work to get this roof bondo'd this much , im seriously just thinking about stripping the whole car and start from the ground up... i have no intention of doing this half ass and 10 years from now having to do it all again cause it wasn't done right the first time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome!

FYI, there is a replacement roof for a '71-73 coupe on the Miami, FL Craigslist for $90. Worth it and more, IMO: http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/pts/4433979850.html

-Kurt
thanks cuda , i send the guy an e-mail seeing if he's willing to ship it...

shipping is atleast 400 bucks for the piece... im going to see if the local classic junk yard happens to have a coupe sitting there first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back