6AL Wiring

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldmountainfarm

Reaction score
My Car
1931 Ford Tudor, 1969 Ford Torino GT Convertible, 1972 Ford Mach 1, 1990 Ford F350 CrewCab 4x4. 2005 Ford Taurus. 1966 F100 Stepside
I am wiring up a 6AL box and I understand all the connections except one. One says "12 volt positive for first RPM" , I already have one wire going to the positive side of the battery and I already have one wire going to the switch 12 volts. It's brand new and this is what is written on the wires. Where would I hook the one that says 12 volt positive for first RPM?

I am wiring up a 6AL box and I understand all the connections except one. One says "12 volt positive for first RPM" , I already have one wire going to the positive side of the battery and I already have one wire going to the switch 12 volts. It's brand new and this is what is written on the wires. Where would I hook the one that says 12 volt positive for first RPM?

Is it a white wire? If it is it's the wire that goes to the points. If you arent using points type ignition, the wire goes unused.

here are the full instructions.

http://www.msdignition.com/uploadedFiles/MSDIgnitioncom/Products/Ignitions/6420_instructions.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
First off. Don't beat me in the ground. I bought a ProComp before I did my research. It has a black to the - coil, an oarnge to the + coil, red to switched 12 volts, white not used, green and purple to distributor, Heavy black - battery and heavy red + battery, yellow for the tach, then blue to 12 volts for first RPM. I just can't figure out the blue to 12 volts for first RPM. Of course I can't find any information from ProComp. I will switch to MSD but not till this one burns out.

First off. Don't beat me in the ground. I bought a ProComp before I did my research. It has a black to the - coil, an oarnge to the + coil, red to switched 12 volts, white not used, green and purple to distributor, Heavy black - battery and heavy red + battery, yellow for the tach, then blue to 12 volts for first RPM. I just can't figure out the blue to 12 volts for first RPM. Of course I can't find any information from ProComp. I will switch to MSD but not till this one burns out.
oh ok lol. I say hook it all up without the blue wire and see if it runs.

That was my thought but I thought I'd ask around first to see if anybody else bought one without doing their research and ran into this problem.

Yep, I got that one hooked up.

Thanks Coilwire. The ProComp is different from the MSD. MSD doesn't have this one wire that I can't figure out where it goes.

Back