ive heard that alot of people are against long tube headers bc theyll hit the ground, i always planned on going with the hooker headers 6115 but now im not so sure about it... any sugestions?

Drive it, Break it, Fix it, repeat:D

ive heard that alot of people are against long tube headers bc theyll hit the ground, i always planned on going with the hooker headers 6115 but now im not so sure about it... any sugestions?

FPA makes a mid-length header that fits pretty well.

http://www.fordpowertrain.com/FPAindex/Mustang1.htm

stage2revised_zpsfe87bc84.jpg

73 conv. 460, D0VE large valve heads, Performer RPM manifold, Voodoo 227/233 cam, Holley 950 HP carb, C6 trans, 3.25 trak-loc.

I can't speak to ground clearance but, it seems like I remember some difference in exhaust ports between passenger car 429/460 and CJ/SCJ. Or I may be having some sort of false recollection. You may want to check that before you buy. Chuck

I can't speak to ground clearance but, it seems like I remember some difference in exhaust ports between passenger car 429/460 and CJ/SCJ. Or I may be having some sort of false recollection. You may want to check that before you buy. Chuck

Yes the passenger car heads have a different exhaust port than the CJ head. Need to specify which flange you want when ordering.

73 conv. 460, D0VE large valve heads, Performer RPM manifold, Voodoo 227/233 cam, Holley 950 HP carb, C6 trans, 3.25 trak-loc.

alright thanks, i have just a stock passenger 429 but im pulling it in a few days but the plan is to build it to the scj, do you have a price on the shorty headers? i looked but couldnt find one?

Drive it, Break it, Fix it, repeat:D

alright thanks, i have just a stock passenger 429 but im pulling it in a few days but the plan is to build it to the scj, do you have a price on the shorty headers? i looked but couldnt find one?

They were around $500 uncoated IIRC. I suggest getting them uncoated and making sure they fit first and then send them out locally if you want coated headers. I had to ding the tube next to the steering box a little to get them to fit.

I have the hookers ,and the front two tubes hang under the engine crossmember.You will scrape them on speed bumps , but they fit good (no hammer needed).Clearances were close but they fit and I have a 4 speed.They were the only header made for it back in the 80's when I put the 429 in it.The FPA header looks like a nice piece.The exhaust ports are different sizes on the passenger car heads and scj.Iirc the 6115 will work on the aluminum scj.

Jay

73 mach1

The big tube (2 1/8, 3 1/2 collectors) Hookers hit everything taller than a snake's ass. They also require a hole in the passenger inner fender apron. I've been through two sets. The latest are already flat under the cross member.

For a daily driver I recommend the smaller flavors.

both sets of hooker headers have poor fit. im very happy with hedman hustler headers 1 3/4 x 3" nice ground clearance but interferes with z bar. had to hyd. clutch swap. twice as happy!