What headers are people using?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
72 Mach 1 351c 4V Auto, TCP/Aldan suspension, bright blue metallic
Shopping for headers. The application is a 72 with 351C, 4V heads, FMX automatic, PS and PB. The car is also fairly low (as seen in my avatar). My preference would be long tubes. I know the FPA headers seem to be the gold standard for fitment. But they will be over $2500 CDN to my door and the wait still sounds pretty long. So I'm considering other options. What other headers are people using? I've seen a few posts in the past with long tubes not fitting well with the FMX. Anyone experience that? The car may also receive a TKX down the road, so bonus points for anything that works with both a manual and an auto.

Thanks,
Rob

Hedmans long tube as well on my 73 and installed with fmx. Now AOD. Not clearance issues.
Only one detail may you run EFI. On hookers(as seen on my 429) and Hedmans the fabrication process of these was never intended to make them really outside air tight. I had to reweld all the flanges in and out on both pairs to make them suitable for this.
Lastly, make sure to buy good gaskets and bolts. I know since I went over copper gaskets and quality bolts that I no longer need retighten them as I needed before using the classic ‘paper’ ones.

I also run the hooker comp but with 2v heads a 351 c and Fmx Tranny. They fit well but as expected little clearance when wiggling them into place. I switched out the standard bolts to Allen head socket head cap screws. It was easier to get a allen wrench on the heads than a socket.

I recommend the Remflex gaskets. Also I used studs for my headers. Makes install much easier.
For the Hooker 6915 headers it is better to use the Hooker gaskets. The Ramflex are definitely better but they don't match well to these headers. The tube and flange of these headers have a slightly different shape that don't seat well on standard 4V gaskets. At least that has been my experience. The "overlap" between the gasket and headers appears too thin. It may work but I didn't feel confortable with the small overlap. The Hooker gaskets have the exact shape of the headers for what I think it is a better fit.

I've been trying to find headers for my q code 351 4V 4 speed and I'm having trouble finding them mainly due to the 4 speed. I really don't
want to have to raise the engine or do major modifications.

Thanks for the great input. The path is a little clearer. Looks like Hooker 6915HKR is the way to go with the 4v heads and with aftermarket heads with the 2v sized ports I have a choice between Hooker or Hedman. Guess I need to make that call first and then choose whether to commit to the long lead times for heads. I’ll need to get some date codes or casting numbers off the heads on this thing to start.

Rob

My current setup is 2" primary into 3-1/2" collector. BUT your engine build will dictate what tubes are appropriate. General purpose, factory to mid-range street Mustangs like about 1 5/8" into 3" collectors. Of course exhaust pipe diameter and rpm range will need to be factored in also.

Another pair of 6915's. Before that was running Cyclones but had trouble keeping them sealed. Running a C6 with no fitment issues on the hookers. The cyclones requires a little bit of grinding on the trans bell housing.

I've had the Hooker SC's on my '72 Mach 1 since 1978. I run '70 closed chamber heads and a C6, 3.91's and a Detroit Locker with 31 spline axles in a nodular case. No clearance issues at all. It has a 700DP Holley up top. Too many mods to list here.

I pulled the headers a while back and cleaned them bare, I put Eastwood's stainless base exhaust paint on them and they look new 15 years later. After you install them start it up at idle for about 5 minutes then let it cool to room temperature, repeat with a quick trip around the block and let them cool again. It works very well. After that the paint will be cured and you're ready to go.

It's all kind of a moot point though, I'm prepping for a Jon Kaase 570+ inch big block. I have a set of Hooker SC's ready for that hanging up in my garage.

Back