Underhood light install picture

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
72 Mach 1 H-Code (Concourse)
67 GT S-Code 4sp
Looking for a picture of the underhood light instalation. I have the option on my car, but do not recall the hole in the underside passanger side of the hood where it installed. I do not have any pictures from teardown of that.

Hi Brian,

Some examples I have been collecting for when the time comes for mine.

2znxpg5.jpg

14b447q.jpg

2d0azow.jpg

Great response guys! Brian, I was going to get a few pics of the convertible (under hood) but I see you already have some good (correct) placement pics. Only thing that might be little diffeent on mine could be the wiring loom. I will still try and get some pics later.

Ray

In review of my judging sheet from St. Augustine it was noted about tape on my underhood light harness. I had used original reproduction plastic (electrical) tape to sheath the harness from the bottom hood clip to the top hood clip. The original harness has a plastic strip that the hood clips are stapled to that runs the length of the harness from the bottom clip to the top. It would make sense to me that the tape was utilized to hold that strip in place. No point were deducted but it was noted. Does anyone have a known original underhood light assembly with the original covering on it. I have the fabric/asphalt sheathing I am just trying to understand if it was originally taped or not. Pictures help a lot and the ones above are not close enough to distinguish for my old eyes.

In review of my judging sheet from St. Augustine it was noted about tape on my underhood light harness. I had used original reproduction plastic (electrical) tape to sheath the harness from the bottom hood clip to the top hood clip. The original harness has a plastic strip that the hood clips are stapled to that runs the length of the harness from the bottom clip to the top. It would make sense to me that the tape was utilized to hold that strip in place. No point were deducted but it was noted. Does anyone have a known original underhood light assembly with the original covering on it. I have the fabric/asphalt sheathing I am just trying to understand if it was originally taped or not. Pictures help a lot and the ones above are not close enough to distinguish for my old eyes.
I found this in my extra stuff... Hard to tell if the tape is original... Sheathing on each end still in place. Based on how the engine compartment main wiring harness is put together, this setup appears similar. We need Midlife to chime in on this to see what he has come across...

Btw, if someone needs this original piece for their car, just pm me proof that it came on your originally (ie marti or factory invoice showing you have the Convenience Group option), pay the shipping (should not be much, very light) and it's yours. It needs some restoring but you see what you are getting... My current restoration gets "ill" near cars that are optioned out... Cheers

image.jpeg

Last edited:
I think you need to clean out some pms. Your mailbox is full. Trying to send you the Marti. Jeff

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Done..., my apologies.

Hmmm, I still have my original harness somewhere in a box. I'll have to see if I can find it and I'll check the tape and stuff.

I should put it all back in, now that I think about it. Mine also had the light in the trunk.

does anyone have a clear picture of where the wiring connector bolts down to? The pictures earlier in the thread clear showing the routing (thanks guys) but I can't see any pictures showing where the wiring connector is attached.

On the pictures above you can see where it bolts to the hood. The other end is a bullet connector into the accessory wire harness that runs from the solenoid across the shock tower brace and into the passenger compartment through a grommet by the vacuum booster. The accessory harness is held down by large rubber/plastic clips that clip into holes on the shock tower and brace.

1972 6.jpg

1972 11.jpg

My wiring going to the solenoid is routed differently on my original 73 Mach 1. Under the shock tower brace not on top. I know not a good pic but just one I had. Hope to clean this one up next year.

The yellow 73 vert I got with 48,000 miles was also not on top. Pic as the car was when I got it had sat in garage for 25 years.

DSC_2100.JPG

IMG_20141204_174704_498.jpg

That does not look like an original part to me. I have seen similar examples in the past. I THINK (not sure) that this was either a service replacement or possibly to repair a broken wire sometime in the past.

MSO only 1973 vert with 178 miles and never dealer prepped.

090212 268.JPG

090212 271.JPG

090212 267.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Back