Rocker bolt washers (oil deflector?)

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 MACH 1
2019 F150
I'm spreading out parts to reassemble engine and need afew rocker bolt washers or oil deflectors for abetter word are broken. ( See pic ). Does anyone have 3 or 4 laying arround, to be recycled into another eng. like maybe mine...

Alan L

001.JPG

351 2V? I should have my old ones from my 2V heads. I was going to keep them just because they are original to my motor but if you can not find them I may be able to help you. keep me posted. I will look Friday to see if they look the same.

Last edited by a moderator:
First of all, your stock pivots are aluminum and subject to wear. You can go to Checker/OReilly Auto parts and buy new ones for very little (I think I paid just over a buck each), and they're steel.

Second, the oil deflectors are available from a company called "Pioneer Automotive", somewhere in Mississippi. They're cheap, but the catch is, they only sell to engine builders, not to the public. My builder got them for me for $1.75 each. You have a couple broken ones, and that's an indication more could be weak.

The 3rd option: buy new rocker arms from Summit Racing. They have the later models that have a tang bent in them, so they don't need the add-in oil deflectors. Ford changed to that style in '72 or '73, something like that.

First of all, your stock pivots are aluminum and subject to wear. You can go to Checker/OReilly Auto parts and buy new ones for very little (I think I paid just over a buck each), and they're steel.

Second, the oil deflectors are available from a company called "Pioneer Automotive", somewhere in Mississippi. They're cheap, but the catch is, they only sell to engine builders, not to the public. My builder got them for me for $1.75 each. You have a couple broken ones, and that's an indication more could be weak.

The 3rd option: buy new rocker arms from Summit Racing. They have the later models that have a tang bent in them, so they don't need the add-in oil deflectors. Ford changed to that style in '72 or '73, something like that.
Good advice, get rid of those aluminum pivots. They are not going to like your .514 lift cam and the revs when you step on it

Alan, with that big of cam I would opt for roller rockers. I changed over to harlan-Sharpe with my new cam last year.They worked great and I did not have to reset them all racing season. Just my personal opinion.

Jim

Back