Do I save it? 71 vert 351-4v ramair

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would save it. It was a nicely optioned car when new, and would definitely be a head turner if restored to it's former glory. Takes a bunch of time and money, but if you can, I would vote to save it. Like Mister 4x4, I saved the Rickster, even when friends suggested it would be better to part it out (I think most of the useful parts were already taken), but I opted to move forward and restore it.

They aren't making any more of these cars, and it sounds like you have a good handle on what needs to be done. I hope you do restore it. It will be a beauty when you're done.
Thank you for the encouragement. I am nearly finished with another vert that I have had for 28 yrs and never been in the road. I bought it because it was a solid, albeit pathetic looking, mostly rust free grabber blue ramair car. Guess I need to pull some items off the for sale list. Seats and interior quarter trim panels for starters. Build thread for that car here. https://7173mustangs.com/threads/71-convertible.34387/

Thank you for the encouragement. I am nearly finished with another vert that I have had for 28 yrs and never been in the road. I bought it because it was a solid, albeit pathetic looking, mostly rust free grabber blue ramair car. Guess I need to pull some items off the for sale list. Seats and interior quarter trim panels for starters. Build thread for that car here. https://7173mustangs.com/threads/71-convertible.34387/
If you need any hard to find metal bits and coupe parts are the same lmk.

Attachments

• C3123BDB-3591-425B-BB44-BE68C68790A1.jpeg
    C3123BDB-3591-425B-BB44-BE68C68790A1.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
I thought about buying the hull from Paul before you got it, but I have so many similar projects that I would never have gotten to it. The thing that makes me sick is that at one point, after several conversations with Paul, I had a chance to buy the whole car with the numbers matching drive-train before he parted the car out. I was sick when he told me that he had come down to $1,300 for the car, but no one would buy it. I would have gladly bought it for that price but I thought he wanted more. I can't blame him for parting the car out and selling the hull. He made something like three times the money parting it out. I would say that if you have the time, space, and money, go ahead and fix it up. There were only something like 100 Ram Air M code convertibles built in 1971. That puts the car in a whole different league. Add to that red/red colors, and it's a no brainer. Like I said, I would have done it if I didn't have so many projects already. It sure would be nice to have the numbers matching motor though. Maybe you could find out who on the forum bought it and work a deal with them. Kevin.

I thought about buying the hull from Paul before you got it, but I have so many similar projects that I would never have gotten to it. The thing that makes me sick is that at one point, after several conversations with Paul, I had a chance to buy the whole car with the numbers matching drive-train before he parted the car out. I was sick when he told me that he had come down to $1,300 for the car, but no one would buy it. I would have gladly bought it for that price but I thought he wanted more. I can't blame him for parting the car out and selling the hull. He made something like three times the money parting it out. I would say that if you have the time, space, and money, go ahead and fix it up. There were only something like 100 Ram Air M code convertibles built in 1971. That puts the car in a whole different league. Add to that red/red colors, and it's a no brainer. Like I said, I would have done it if I didn't have so many projects already. It sure would be nice to have the numbers matching motor though. Maybe you could find out who on the forum bought it and work a deal with them. Kevin.
I did not get it from Paul but the guy that got it from him (I traded for it and a lot of parts that can be used on this). I live maybe 30 miles from him and this never came across my radar. There were 166 ramair verts in 71, 34 of which were 429s. I have a 351-2v ramair vert so very close to done. Not sure I have the room but I really want to figure stuff out. I have a shopping cart filled with sheet metal just need to pull the trigger (Black Friday!).

Last edited:
I was thinking only of the M codes when I came up with the "100" number. A 351 2V Ram Air has to be really rare. How many of those did they make? Where are you getting your sheet metal? It's getting harder and harder to find at reasonable prices and the shipping is insane. I heard Gilbert bought everyone out, lol.

I did not get it from Paul but the guy that got it from him (I traded for it and a lot of parts that can be used on this). I live maybe 30 miles from him and this never came across my radar. There were 166 ramair verts in 71, 34 of which were 429s. I have a 351-2v ramair vert so very close to done. Not sure I have the room but I really want to figure stuff out. I have a shopping cart filled with sheet metal just need to pull the trigger (Black Friday!).
{subliminal whispering} Click the 'Check-Out' button on the cart. Do it. Do it. Do it.

Err... I mean, "I hope you decide to go for it."

:cool:

Last edited:
I was thinking only of the M codes when I came up with the "100" number. A 351 2V Ram Air has to be really rare. How many of those did they make? Where are you getting your sheet metal? It's getting harder and harder to find at reasonable prices and the shipping is insane. I heard Gilbert bought everyone out, lol.
I am giving top flight a shot. They had the full length convertible rear frame rails/ torque boxes in stock. Only place I have seen them. Got the individual longer lh and rh floor pans. I got many other parts. Nothing that required freight. Will contact Gilbert about the trunk floor. For the back of the car I need one quarter and a full trunk pan. Highly likely I will need something else for back of car.

I am giving top flight a shot. They had the full length convertible rear frame rails/ torque boxes in stock. Only place I have seen them. Got the individual longer lh and rh floor pans. I got many other parts. Nothing that required freight. Will contact Gilbert about the trunk floor. For the back of the car I need one quarter and a full trunk pan. Highly likely I will need something else for back of car.
Now you're talking’ 😎

I talked to TF at a car show, got a uneasy feeling but maybe I’m wrong. Good luck and lets us know about your buying experience.

I talked to TF at a car show, got a uneasy feeling but maybe I’m wrong. Good luck and lets us know about your buying experience.
I've ordered a few interior items from them on different occasions and haven't had any issues with the orders or quality of the parts. NPD is still my go-to for Mustang parts, though.

I've ordered a few interior items from them on different occasions and haven't had any issues with the orders or quality of the parts. NPD is still my go-to for Mustang parts, though.
I ordered $1500 in parts from TF yesterday. I got charged $1100 by extra mile brands so I am hoping that is them. Also hoping it all ships eventually. No indication on the website not via email what has actually shipped. I ordered the vert inner rocker panel from Kentucky Mustangs. They and NPD are where I look first but occasionally I find something at another site I can't pass up. Top Flight was the only place that had the 71 vert complete rear frame with the vert torque box listed. They had one of each and discounted them over 20% for BF. I am also putting together a list of freight type items I might need. I hope Gilbert Davenport will give me a break. He is maybe an hour drive so no freight. Kentucky I would drive to as well. I definitely need a full trunk pan. I would like to find a good front clip. Need to start looking I guess. I like the idea of keeping as much sheet metal as possible to retain date codes. We shall see.....

I ordered $1500 in parts from TF yesterday. I got charged $1100 by extra mile brands so I am hoping that is them. Also hoping it all ships eventually. No indication on the website not via email what has actually shipped. I ordered the vert inner rocker panel from Kentucky Mustangs. They and NPD are where I look first but occasionally I find something at another site I can't pass up. Top Flight was the only place that had the 71 vert complete rear frame with the vert torque box listed. They had one of each and discounted them over 20% for BF. I am also putting together a list of freight type items I might need. I hope Gilbert Davenport will give me a break. He is maybe an hour drive so no freight. Kentucky I would drive to as well. I definitely need a full trunk pan. I would like to find a good front clip. Need to start looking I guess. I like the idea of keeping as much sheet metal as possible to retain date codes. We shall see.....
Yes, the communication from TF is not very good. I did receive shipping notices from them via email. You can also use the order tracking on their site. I don't get the feeling TF is run by those in the hobby like Kentucky Mustang or Rick@NPD so you don't get the enthusiasts' interaction, just a mail order business kinda vibe. Let us know how it works out for you.

Yes, the communication from TF is not very good. I did receive shipping notices from them via email. You can also use the order tracking on their site. I don't get the feeling TF is run by those in the hobby like Kentucky Mustang or Rick@NPD so you don't get the enthusiasts' interaction, just a mail order business kinda vibe. Let us know how it works out for you.
I agree

I've ordered some items from TF that were not available from Don@OMS, Rick@NPD or Kentucky Mustang. I agree 100%, NPD is my #1 go-to as well. I have some of my old "call-in" order forms w/ receipts cataloged from some of my restorations from the 90's.

Hey Chris. I too ordered the rear frame rails with torque boxes for one of my projects over a year ago from TF but as I recall they came from "Mustang America." They took longer to come in than I wanted, but they made it in about a month and fit fine. That was during the pandemic when things were harder to get. I just "played around" with the TF website adding all kinds of things to my cart but was sad to find out during check out that none of the big sheet metal parts qualified for the Black Friday 25% off special or for the free shipping. Many other items that I thought would be 25% off were listed as "Price can not be discounted further" and only like 10% off. The free shipping on parts that were eligible was a real plus though. I wish I was close enough to an outlet to pick up heavy sheet metal. I'd but tons of stuff (like R/A hoods, floors, full 1/4 panels, etc.) if I could.

Hey Chris. I too ordered the rear frame rails with torque boxes for one of my projects over a year ago from TF but as I recall they came from "Mustang America." They took longer to come in than I wanted, but they made it in about a month and fit fine. That was during the pandemic when things were harder to get. I just "played around" with the TF website adding all kinds of things to my cart but was sad to find out during check out that none of the big sheet metal parts qualified for the Black Friday 25% off special or for the free shipping. Many other items that I thought would be 25% off were listed as "Price can not be discounted further" and only like 10% off. The free shipping on parts that were eligible was a real plus though. I wish I was close enough to an outlet to pick up heavy sheet metal. I'd but tons of stuff (like R/A hoods, floors, full 1/4 panels, etc.) if I could.
Do you have enclosed trailer? Maybe we can setup group purchases like other forums do and dispatch local members to pick up large parts and drop at a central location to reduce shipping Costs. Just spit balling . I got a new pickup truck but don’t have enclosed trailer.

Back