Ran into a hiccup on 4r70w swap

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was fortunate that my AOD came with one. You might check PATC: http://www.transmissioncenter.org/classic_mustang_to_aod_conversion.htm

HPIM1606.JPG

If the inspection plate is the same for AOD/AODE/4r70W, you should be in good shape.

You could also check the local parts stores - Advance Auto Parts, O'Reilly, etc.

I ran into the same problem when I went FMX to C6. As a temporary solution I just used the original FMX plate. I put a couple of large washers on the mounting bolts and it held it in place until I got a replacement.

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly, that plate can be installed after everything's already stuffed into the car. Ask me how I know... (yeah, mine's still not bolted down either). ;) :D

Honestly, that plate can be installed after everything's already stuffed into the car. Ask me how I know... (yeah, mine's still not bolted down either). ;) :D
Mine has been missing for about 7 years and wouldnt think twice about not running one.

You may have to fab one if your block plate is from the FMX, no inspection cover will fit. If you used the V-6 Ford Blockplate that came with the tranny and it worked then a junkyard should have one.

I don't know if the AOD inspection cover will bolt to the 4r70w

It can always be fabed/installed after everything is done.

Best of luck

I was fortunate that my AOD came with one. You might check PATC: http://www.transmissioncenter.org/classic_mustang_to_aod_conversion.htm

HPIM1606.JPG

If the inspection plate is the same for AOD/AODE/4r70W, you should be in good shape.

You could also check the local parts stores - Advance Auto Parts, O'Reilly, etc.
Ok i ordered one of these as they say they can get it to me by Friday. Local junkyard wanted the same price for an AOD one and they are 50+ miles away.

Cool deal Jim. Your doing a awesome job the car so far don't cut corners now.:cool:
I was thinking along the same lines - everything you've shown us has been hospital clean, and very "factory fresh" looking... so, might as well get a "new" one rather than a potentially mangled junkyard special. ;) :D

Back