What is your all-time favorite "show-stopper"?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

Kit Sullivan

Kind of an odd question, but I know at least a couple of you guys here will get it:

If you have one...what is your favorite in-concert, show-stopping song that just leaves you exhausted and drained just from listening to it?

You know, the kind of song where you can't help but play wild air guitar, do windmills and windups, and generally just "kick out the jams" whenever you hear it?

I'm an old guy who likes classic rock for the most part, but I am sure this applies to many other types of music as well.

Of course, "Free Bird" is a well-known show-stopper and obviously one of my favorites, along with a handful of others:

Stranglehold: Ted Nugent

I Like to Rock: April Wine

Green Grass and High Tides...: The Outlaws

But, my personal all-time fave is a little obscure:

Let Me Go, Rock and Roll: KISS

The definitive version is on the first ( of many!) KISS live albums (Alive!). It was originally the last song played on the last encore of the album and was clearly the intended "show-stopper" at the time it was recorded (1975).

A great steady driving beat, 2 pretty good guitar solos (Ace at his best!), a little Gene Simmons swaggering bass riff all complimented by an obviously very enthusiastic crowd. It "travels", as an old guitar-playing friend of mine used to say. Even though it was revealed that the entire album was dramatically "sweetened" by the producer after the fact in the studio, I don't care...it simply kicks ass!

Since that time "Rock and Roll All Night" has become the famous show-stopper, and all reissues of "Alive!" since then have rearranged the song order, making "Rock and Roll All Night" the last song on the album.

Makes no difference to me, I love that song!

What are some others?

Last edited:
Good questions. for me it's:

Led Zeppelin - Communication Breakdown

Followed by:

Thin Lizzy - Don't believe a word

Van Halen - Light up the sky

Lynyrd Skynyrd - Don't Ask Me No Questions

Jeff Beck Group - Ain't Superstitious

ZZ Top - Heard it on the X

I'm not much into the "windmills and windup" type songs. I'm more into mind bending melodies with unique guitar styles.

For me, my ultimate sit back, and let your mind get lost in the music, is Neil Young's "Cortez the Killer" from his Arc/Weld album. Closely followed by "Shine on you Crazy Diamond" (all parts) by Pink Floyd.

If I had to pick a song based on your criteria, it would be "Eminence Front" by The Who.

I always loved:

Gearjammer - George Thorogood and the Delaware Destroyers

Stone in Love - Journey

I'll Wait - Van Halen

Feelin" Satisfied - Boston

Dreams I'll Never See - Molly Hatchet

Jimi Hendrix "Machine Gun" Live at the Fillmore East, Dec. 31, 1969-Jan 1, 1970 shows.

Stevie Ray Vaughan, "Tin Pan Alley" live at Fitzgerald's, Houston Texas back in '82 (I was there that night)

I'm kinda partial to Bruce Springsteen's Rosalita, any version that's live. The recorded version isn't that bad either.

Not so much in the air guitar department but definitely air drumming.

Tom Sawyer or any Rush for that matter.

Van Halen: panama and hot for teacher

Ac/dc: highway to hell and thunderstruck

Mötley Crüe: too fast for love and shout at the devil

Iron maiden: run to the hills and wasted years

Poison: nothin but a good time and look what the cat dragged in

Def leopard: Poor some sugar on me

Can you all tell I'm an 80s kid?? Hahahaha LONG LIVE ROCK!!!

Bob Seger: Turn The Page

Sin City and Live Wire: AC/DC when Bon Scott was still around. Just like on the old Rock goes to college stuff from the UK. Absolutely Awsome.

Comfortably Numb: Pink Floyd, Delicate Sonds of Thunder

Rock Bottom and Cold Gin: Kiss, Alive

For Those About To Rock (We Salute You): AC/DC, Brian Johnson, this is the best song ever to end a concert on, followed closely by Rock and Roll All Night.

Run To The Hills and Hallowed Be ThyName: Iron Maiden, Live After Death

Plus heaps more, but that's just the tip of the iceberg.

I've recently discovered an old 70's band called Geordie. Their lead singer left and joined another band some years after their heyday and he's still going strong...

Geordie, with this lead singer made some stunning tracks, most notably 'Give You Till Monday' and 'Natural Born Loser'.

Beyond that, AC/DC and 'Back in Black' always gets me. I think it's their best ever track and it was superb when played at their River Plate concert.

ZZTop's 'Jailhouse Rock', 'Tush', 'Heard It On The X' and 'My Head's in Missippi' are their best, in my view.

Temperance Movement and 'Only Friend'

Steve Miller Band and 'Jet Airliner' always takes me back to when I flew regularly between the Uk and Australia.

Status Quo and 'No Contract' is like nothing else they've ever made. Quite superb!

Rolling Stones and 'Start Me Up'

Pink Floyd 'Young Lust'. Heard this live earlier this year and it's better that way. The studio version is more diluted - less alive.

Jack White and 'Lazaretto'. Stunning played live.

Plenty more, but that'll do.

Stevie Ray Vaughn - Superstitious

Isley Brothers - Summer Breeze

Gary Clark Jr - When my train pulls in

Jimi Hendrix - Machine Gun

Tesla - Love will find a way

Too many - not fair....

Well, the lead singer from Geordie went to sing for AC/DC and the rest is history.

:)

I can't add anything to this as it is a matter of what mood I'm in.

I love me some old ZZTop or AC/DC or SRV.

Then I like many bands from the hair metal days.

One of my favorite bands ever is very underrated in the USA: Toto with Lukather on guitar.

Those guys kick some serious butt when it comes to songwriting and musical talent.

Carl Verheyen, Warren Haynes..... Some lesser known guys.

Brad Paisley kills on a Telecaster.

Jeez, I dunno.

Hey, Mike... Give us some insight for songs by Toto. I'm only familiar with a couple that were popular here in the states: Africa, and I'll be wanting you. I do hear some great guitar in those 2, but to be honest, both are eclipsed by the keyboardist.

Ok, these are all great songs...but I want you guys to name the "showstopper"... the one song you know, above all others, that just gets your blood moving around like nothing else.

The one that leaves you worn out and drained, you know...

THE SHOWSTOPPER!

Hey, Mike... Give us some insight for songs by Toto. I'm only familiar with a couple that were popular here in the states: Africa, and I'll be wanting you. I do hear some great guitar in those 2, but to be honest, both are eclipsed by the keyboardist.
David Paich is one of the few key boarders that I could listen to for a long time.

I personally love English Eyes and Pamela but you may wanna try their album "Kingdom of desire". That was heavier and more guitar heavy than the others although it is usually not every Toto fans favorite. It is mine though.

It has my favorite guitar sounds too.

Back