Favorite rock guitar solos...

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh man so many to choose from, but thinking on the spot is a different thing, but OK

Cold Gin. Ace Frehley

Comfortably Numb. Dave Gilmore

Voodoo Child. Jimi Hendrix

Let There Be Rock. Angus Young

Stairway To Heaven (especially from The Song Remains The Same album)Jimmy Page

Sin City. Angus Young

Sunshine Of Your Love. Eric Clapton

Not To Touch The Earth. Robbie Kreiger

The End. Robbie Kreiger

Black Magic Woman. Carlos Santana

And those heaps more that I can't think of at the moment

Definitely Eddie Van Halen's, Eruption, I have tried for years to play it but just can't get it

Rush, Spirt of the Radio, Alex is awesome.

Ozzy, Blizzard of oz , Crazy Train, or any things Randy did.

Then I can't for get Zeppelin, but how do you choose just one song?

OK - here are my favorites from the list I originally came up with - again, in no certain order:

• Van Halen: Dreams/Right Now
  • Scorpions: Rock You Like a Hurricane/Holiday
  • Bon Jovi: Born to be my Baby/Livin' on a prayer
  • Journey: anything, really... but Can't tame the Lion is my favorite
  • Queensryche: Jet City Woman/Silent Lucidity
  • Poison: Ride the Wind/Talk Dirty to Me
  • Motley Crue: Kickstart my Heart
  • Ratt: Lay it down/Way Cool Junior
  • Rush: everything... but YYZ and Manhattan Project (favorites)
  • Pink Floyd: everything! But One of these Days/Shine on you Crazy Diamond (favorites)
  • Def Leppard: Foolin'/Rock It
  • Extreme:He-Man Woman Hater/Hole Hearted
  • Slaughter: Eye to Eye
  • Boston: Walk On (all 4 "movements")
  • Ozzy: Crazy Train/No More Tears
  • Quiet Riot: Metal Health/Battle Axe
  • Aldo Nova: Fantasy/Subject's Theme-Armageddon
  • Joe Satriani: Surfin' with the Alien
  • Yngwe Malmsteen: Black Star
  • Steve Vai: when he was with David Lee Roth
  • Whitesnake: Here I go again/Still of the Night
  • Aerosmith: Love in an elevator/Rag doll
  • Queen: everything

And I know I've missed a bunch of damn fine music. But, I mostly listen to rock of the "classic" type.
We must have went to high school together!

That list it to funny

After I smashed up my first Stang, I had a 78 Civic

Beside the $2 a week for gas the best thing about that car was the stereo

And I had every one of those cassettes

Notice I didn't say 8 track or CD's

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually still have all those cassettes - in my 120-count double-sided cassette case in the cabinet under my stereo. rofl

Had me some more Van Halen this morning on the way to work:

Intruder/(Oh) Pretty Woman, Cathedral, Little Guitars, Amsterdam, Runaround, Poundcake, Don't Tell Me (what love can do).

So Kit had it right with his #1 Choice. The solo in My Sharona is the bomb. Here is a one hit wonder with a killer solo, not a seasoned superstar like Clapton or Van Halen playing. That solo drives on and on with melody, flare and fire that have withstood the test of time.

Another underdog not mentioned here is the guitar behind Natalie Merchant in the song Wonder. Yes, here a female guitarist named Jennifer Turner(I think) walks a splashy rhythmic countermelody through the whole song that plainly says "That's how to play guitar"

But then what do I know anyway, I am just a bass player.

Definetely an "Off Topic" subject, but the Mustang has always a "rock & roll" kind of car anyway, so...

What are your favorite guitar solos? Not necessarily your favorite rock songs, but mainly just the solos.

I'm kind of picky and opinionated about music, and I personally like solos that have a"story"...a beginning, middle and an end, if you will. Not just some fingers-of-fury fret-board attack, but something that adds almost another verse to the song.

These are mine, odd as some may be:

1) My Sharona/ The Knack

2) Cowboy Song/ Thin Lizzy

3) I like To Rock/ April Wine

4) Flirtin' With Disaster/ Molly Hatchet

5) Smokin' InThe Boys Room/ Motley Crue

6) Beat It / Michael Jackson (Eddie Van Halen)

7) Nothin' But a Good Time/ Poison

8) Don't Let Him Go/ REO Speedwagon

9) Memphis/ Lonnie Mack

And of course....

10) Free Bird/Lynryd Skynyrd

Sometimes I (still!) play air-guitar so much my fingers ache...

Wow! so we all drive Mustangs, and listen to the same music???

Because I love all the songs mentioned so far, there's nothing like Rock music and a V8 is there? I have no idea what in the world is better than blasting down a country road on a summer evening, warm air blowing in through the window,V8 rumbling and classic rock on the stereo.

Maybe Heather Locklier's hand on ya thigh too, just to finish off an awesome scene ;)

Wow! so we all drive Mustangs, and listen to the same music???

Because I love all the songs mentioned so far, there's nothing like Rock music and a V8 is there? I have no idea what in the world is better than blasting down a country road on a summer evening, warm air blowing in through the window,V8 rumbling and classic rock on the stereo.

Maybe Heather Locklier's hand on ya thigh too, just to finish off an awesome scene ;)
The only thing better is blasting down the road on a bike. Then you don't need tunes or Chicks,well at least not until you stop;). But I would take what you are offering as the very next best thing :cool:

The only thing better is blasting down the road on a bike. Then you don't need tunes or Chicks,well at least not until you stop;). But I would take what you are offering as the very next best thing :cool:
I have to respectfully disagree.

The best thing is standing on stage with a band and playing the solo on guitar!!

Except for the Heather Locklear part of course. Nothing beats that. :)

For some stupid reason, it's always stuck in my head... Oct 4, 1980, festival hall Melbourne.

Great show, 2 great showmen, rip... Phil and Gary Moore. Funny how some memories never leave you...
I'm so envious of you, or anyone else who was privileged to see Thin Lizzy in live performance. On Oct. 4, 1980, I was nine years old. I only heard Lizzy on the radio.

Sadly I saw Thin Lizzy about 8 years ago, I have no idea what I was expecting, but without Lynnot, it didn't get close :(

Got Blind drunk with my Boss tho and had a hell of a night!!!

Kit,

as a guitar player it is much more difficult to name only ten titles but here are my real 10 all time favorite guitar solos:

1 Beat It / Michael Jackson

2 Highway Star / Deep Purple

3 Lazy / Deep Purple

4 The Shield / Deep Purple

5 Voodoo Chile / Jimi Hendrix

6 L.A. Woman / The Doors

7 Another Brick In The Wall / Pink Floyd

8 Dancing With Tears In My Eyes / Ultravox

9 Bohemian Rapsody / Queen

10 500 Miles / The Hooters

11 Welcome Home (Sanitarium) / Metallica

S*** - 11 :D ok, my Marshall goes up to 11 :p

And yes, I am a big Blackmore-fan but the 3 titles are obviously and objectively real good (and melodic too) guitar solos - I will never get them out of my ears... like the others, too.

Tim

Jimi Hendrix: Hey Baby, Sept. 3, 1970 K.B. Hallen Copenhagen Denmark, an absolutely magnificent performance, just a couple of weeks before he died.

[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fl7Bmty4BJQ

Jimi Hendrix Machine Gun, at the Band of Gypys show New Years eve/New

Years day 69/70.

[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdya-VDdBiA

Stevie Ray Vaughan doing Hendrix's Little Wing, 1983 Fitzgeralds Club Houston Tx. Stevie sat on the edge of the stage and played about 10-15 min. Version that was amazing. I was there that night

[video=youtube]

My very first concert in '78 was Thin Lizzy opening for Ted Nugent. Hell of a great first show!

Back