WHAT I USED TO DO WITH MY MUSTANG

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Q code Mach 4spd
2004 350z
2005 Corvette
1971 Camaro SS/RS
I thought you guys may like to see where I spent most of time with my Mustang back in the very early 80's I grew up in Long Island N.Y. right on the Queens boarder. 10 minutes to be exact from Kennedy Airport. & about 20 minutes max from from Brooklyn. I purchased my car in 1979..At the age of 18 First car right out of High school. Long Island, Brooklyn, Queens had always been a hot bed of street cars & street racing. Around 1980 I heard about a place called fountain ave in Brooklyn located right off the belt parkway

http://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&client=firefox-a&q=fountain+ave+brooklyn&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x89c25da2ffc1b927:0xb4960a326d1d9d41,Fountain+Ave,+Brooklyn,+NY&gl=us&ei=SN0-T_vRJ8jKrAfR5eHCBw&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CCMQ8gEwAA

Where there was street racing starting at 11-12 at night & running till the wee hours of the morning. So I decided to go..What an amazing scene I came upon..rows & rows of cars as far as the eye could see lined up to race..With even more spectators on the side lines taking bets..I was hooked ! During the summer on Friday & Saturday nights I was a steady with a bunch of my friends who would come with me. As I became more involved I learned of even more places to go..Crossbay blvd...150th street..Conduit Blvd..on the side of Kennedy Airport. I ran many a race & took home lots of Cash with the stang! Around 1983 the cops started really cracking down & the word was out that if you got caught you could kiss your car good bye. I will never ever forgot the night in 83 that the cops came down & we all scattered. As I was leaving I see the red lights in my rear view..It was a split second decision I made but I ran..With the cop in pursuit..The area where we raced was all industrial & I knew it well...Lights off, quick left quick right, down a side street onto the belt parkway..I never looked back but needless to say I dusted him..I parked the car in a friends driveway for a full week scared they may have gotten my plate. Well they never showed at my house. I felt lucky & I never went back ! It was a great time while it lasted & I think back now to then & man what balls I had to run from the cops But I knew I would never see my beloved Mustang again if I was caught . What made me start to think about this is I recently came back into contact with a childhood friend of mine who used to go there with me,I sent him the link to some of my videos ,He remembered racing in the car, his quote " Hey Scott. Is that the car we took racing in Brooklyn? " He couldn't believe I still have it & the work being done to it..He made me promise to come pick him up for a ride when it's done. I then started doing some searching to see if I could come up with anything about the racing going on back in the day & lo & behold here's what I found. http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=280240 Check it out, some really cool stuff & great reading.

Some of it was before my time but man what a great time I had while it lasted !

fountain1.jpgfountain2.jpgfountain3.jpgfountain4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Great post and great story, Scott. I used to race on the blacktop roads outside of our little Montana towns, and on the surface streets and freeways south of Oakland, around San Leandro and Hayward in northern California. Your post brings back a lot of cool memories.

Doc

Great post and great story, Scott. I used to race on the blacktop roads outside of our little Montana towns, and on the surface streets and freeways south of Oakland, around San Leandro and Hayward in northern California. Your post brings back a lot of cool memories.

Doc
Thanks Doc ! It was a great time & I'm glad I got to experience it ,I guess too, that's why we do what we do to restore & bring these cars back to life !

Great story. reminds me of when I cruised and street raced back in the 80's and early 90's on the mean streets of detroit area. We ran Telegraph road and there we lined up three across the light to run. Look to your left and see Mustangs, camaros, GTO's, chvelles and assorted Hemi cars. Woodward and 8 mile roads were also hot spots back in the day. I remember seeing articles on the scene in Hot Rod mag too.

That's a 65 Malibu in the top right pic..... I had one that turned into TWO shhhhTANGS!!!! :cool:

My ole grounds were I-40 in Mt.Juliet Tn, Beech Bend, Ky and "Union Hill" (cant imagine where the name derived) :D Raceway..now known as Music City Raceway.

It wasnt in "my" Stang it was a 66 that my brother owned. My car, when I saved up ... was a 63 Falcon... 302 4 speed out of a rolled Maverick Grabber GT., a true granny white blue interior that LOOKED stock unless you looked at the rear wide tires. I STILL miss that car...she was FAST!!!

cowardly-lion.jpg

aint it tha truth..... aint it tha truth

That's a cool read. Those tings never happened here in Europe, at least not in such a way.
Thanks Mike,

It really was an unbelievable scene..Man what a different time back then. Try & run from the cops these days..You'd be toast with gps..helicopters..& the communications technology.

Yeah Q that is a neat article man those are good old days. Cool stuff on your history!!!! .... I wouldnt think about doing that these days.

My last hoooRAH was in early 92 in a place called Whiskey Flats Texas on hwy 377....... 450 hossies:D in a 67 coupe

Latest posts

Back