timing question

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

[email protected]

Reaction score
My Car
73 mustang Grande, 63000 miles restored interior and exterior new suspension, NASA hood, 4bl edelbrock carb and performer intake, new dual exhaust, undercoated
So I have a 351c 2v with a performer intake and a brand new 4bbl edelbrock carb and distributor just wondering what I should set my timing to because I have it at the factory settings now and it backfires when I accelerate fast. I have also already replaced plugs and wires.

thank you in advance

I have a feeling timing is not the issue you are having. You can turn the dizzy a bit each way and see if it makes a difference.

I would check the dist cap for cracks and do a compression test but I bet its a ignition problem.

Good Luck

Paul

Double check that you have the firing order correct too.

You indicate you have a new distributor too. Did you add this when you did the carb/manifold? What kind of distributor? Does it have a vacuum advance?

To answer your original question, you can start at around 12 degrees BTDC.

Last edited by a moderator:
So I have a 351c 2v with a performer intake and a brand new 4bbl edelbrock carb and distributor just wondering what I should set my timing to because I have it at the factory settings now and it backfires when I accelerate fast. I have also already replaced plugs and wires.

thank you in advance
Try 10-12 degrees initial. If that does not resolve the issue you need to do some carb tuning.

If it does resolve the issue you need to look at what your new total timing is and then possibly recurve the distributor.

Double check that you have the firing order correct too.

You indicate you have a new distributor too. Did you add this when you did the carb/manifold? What kind of distributor? Does it have a vacuum advance?

To answer your original question, you can start at around 12 degrees BTDC.
it does have vacuum advance, I added the new distributor after the problem started.

Okay. Details on the distributor and coil please.

If I understand correctly you replaced the manifold and carb and after doing so you would get backfires on hard acceleration. Can you confirm the part numbers of the manifold and carb? Also, does it backfire out the carb or out the exhaust?

In addition you have replaced the distributor, plugs and plug wires but the symptom remains.

If the above is accurate, can I assume you had a stock 2v carb and manifold? Was it running okay at that time?

plug the vacuum advance and leave it plugged

tell us what the idle timing is.

it should be around 10 degrees BEFORE tdc.

open the throttle almost 1/2 way or to 3000 rpm and tell us what the timing is.

Back