NEW Center Floor Console Release

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Convertible
Hey Folks,

Just got a heads up from David (Carolina Mountain Mustangs - thanks David very much), telling me of a new release product from the ACP Company.

Wait for this - A BRAND NEW '71-'73 CENTER FLOOR CONSOLE.

Well slap my wrist and call me Chauncy! i don't believe it has finally happened.

They're actually making a fully blown brand new center console for our '71 to'73's.

The unit looks pretty good in the pics, but the asking price is a bit rich though.Looks like they're selling it with the shifter bezel and ash tray included too. So this will be a major break through for our 123 people, as getting hold of a decent original one in good condition has not been easy. There have been a lot of junk ones out there that need major restoration work to bring them back to good condition, and asking prices have been on the high side because they are so rare to come by.

I myself ended up being a victim of buying a crap console that was being sold to me on the basis that it had been fully restored. It was not, and i had to fully restore it again. By the time it was finished, the whole thing from start to finish cost me well over a thousand dollars, and that's me doing all the labor work to restore it again.

Anyway, i hope this new console is a good quality product, and benefits all the keen restorers out there doing up their Mustang interiors. It looks like it is only being offered in the black color so far. One would hope that the manufacturer will end up offering a range of colors to choose from. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Reference .................

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1971-1973-MUSTANG-COUGAR-Sportsroof-Coupe-Convertible-CONSOLE-100-NEW-/331490657567?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4d2e62051f&vxp=mtr

BTW folks - I worked out the total cost for me to buy this product from the seller and bring it to Australia (that's shipping and the exchange rate included) =$945.00 Australian. Holy Dooly!!!!!!

Greg.:)

I'd read this was coming and it does indeed look good. I have US$200 invested in a reasonably good one that included a new lid and a restorable clock but it does need work. And that's what winters are for I guess....

I suspect they will make a manufacturing run of ___?___ units and then see how they sell. There has to be some sort of cost amount to pay back the engineering / molding / assembly cost and then maybe make a small profit or break even. Even though there are quite a few members on this website (and elsewhere) who are serious enough to purchase one and install it, it may be once they sell out the initial run, they may call it quits....if you need one, now may be the time to pick one up.

Then there is the question (as brought up above) as to how good of a reproduction are they.

I have a black original in so-so condition - not totally trashed (some cracks, etc) but it is restorable. I've always wondered what to ask for it. Based on the price of this repro, I'd be lucky to get $100 for mine. I've also worried about shipping - how to properly prepare the package (I would want to prepare a wooden frame) and how much it would it cost since it might be 'oversized' length wise.

Hi Bill,

Yes, very good points you raise there. Stopped future production could be an issue, but one would not know i guess. Quality? I guess it's buy and try in this case. Shipping? Yes, mine was timber framed crated out to me in Australia thank God, because any other method would be very unsafe for the console.

Greg.:)

I've been working for several months to get a run of interior quarter panels made for the folding rear seats. The cost to deal with fabricators is HIGH in the US and at this point, almost cost prohibitive from the estimates that I got. I was basing a run of 500 pairs because there were 32,421 total fold down rear seat cars made from 71-73 - that would be about 1.5% of the total. I assume the market would be there for those interior panels but the cost for molds is outrageous. Not sure but I suspect that the market will evaporate if the pair is priced over $250. I wanted to stay made in the USA but that is costly and importing raises the complexity to a high level.

I'm still looking for a fabricator and will let you know if it works out. This is a labor of love, not a business but even so, I need to at least break even (and a small profit would be nice :) ). I can't even imagine trying to work up the console with the mix of parts, finishes, metal, plastic, etc. based on my experience so far.

This is great news...the more parts available the more survivors we will see. I consider myself lucky as I paid $95 for my console (about 10 years ago) and when I finally restored it last year it looks good as new with no real additional investment...just a little elbow grease and paint. I need to take a few better pictures but you get the idea.

JHawk

IMG_3509.JPG

IMG_3508.JPG

IMG_3507.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Jhawk, curious as to what paint you went with? I know when prepped properly, people have found success from duplicolor's vinyl and fabric line.

Jhawk, curious as to what paint you went with? I know when prepped properly, people have found success from duplicolor's vinyl and fabric line.
I just went to our local automotive paint supplier (Gladwyn Paint Co. in San Antonio) and had them custom mix me pint of "vinyl" paint to match my leather seats. It looks awesome like I bought it brand new. I've had luck spraying it on plastic and vinyl parts (including my dash) and as mention the key is properly prepping the surface and buying a quality paint to begin with. I even use their $7.99 little paint sprayer and even my professional painter buddies can't believe it looks professionally sprayed. Just take your time and do it right. Oh...also, if you do get a blemish or something I just cut a hole in a piece of newspaper as a mask and touch it up...I swear you cannot find where I've touched up.

JHawk

Thanks for the advice! So much of paint is what goes into prep in the first place and it looks like you have done a really nice job!

Thanks for the advice! So much of paint is what goes into prep in the first place and it looks like you have done a really nice job!
Thanks! Even the prep is easy just a little soap and water and and then spray on the vinyl prep (spray can from the auto paint supply) and you're ready.

JHawk

I've been working for several months to get a run of interior quarter panels made for the folding rear seats. The cost to deal with fabricators is HIGH in the US and at this point, almost cost prohibitive from the estimates that I got. I was basing a run of 500 pairs because there were 32,421 total fold down rear seat cars made from 71-73 - that would be about 1.5% of the total. I assume the market would be there for those interior panels but the cost for molds is outrageous. Not sure but I suspect that the market will evaporate if the pair is priced over $250. I wanted to stay made in the USA but that is costly and importing raises the complexity to a high level.

I'm still looking for a fabricator and will let you know if it works out. This is a labor of love, not a business but even so, I need to at least break even (and a small profit would be nice :) ). I can't even imagine trying to work up the console with the mix of parts, finishes, metal, plastic, etc. based on my experience so far.
Hello,

I was an automotive tooling engineer for most of my life and a tool & die maker before that. I served apprenticeship in stamping, injection molding and zinc die cast.

My last job was engineering manager at a tool shop in China. I know everyone hates to hear that word. If you go to good shops there they do much better work than here. That is sad to say but they invest in the equipment to get it done.

How were you looking to make the panels for the fold down? I was mostly in the stamping end of everything but might be able to offer some info. There are prototype shops in the U.S. that make parts for first runs and some do production runs for cars like Viper and can do about anything.

David

Back