NSS question

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naa10104

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Convertible, matching #'s H Code, Auto
Hello,

Have a 73 351C 2v with a C6 transmission ... occasionaly when I turn the ignition key nothing happens. If I nudge the shift lever forward a tiny bit or shift into neutral, the car starts immediately. This probably occurs about once every 10 starts. I know this is an issue with the neutral safety switch, but am not sure of the correct way to diagnose whether I need to adjust it or remove it and clean it. Any suggestions or procedures would be appreciated ... thanks.

Good catch 71mach351,

how about this?

mike

Hello,

Here is a picture of what mine looks like, I am guessing I have to make the adjustment from under the car ??? Thanks
IMG_1217.JPG

Transmissions are not my forte. I understand a lot about my car

except the tranny. If you are not sure let a pro handle it. Then again,

if you don't tinker with your car you will never learn anything. I have

tinkered with my car in the past and spent time walking to work. It

is part of the learning curve.

mike

naa10104-

The NSS is on the housing, underneath the car. At least it is for a C4. Jack the car up, get under, and the NSS switch is forward of the shifter housing on the left upper side of transmission housing. The linkage that connects to the shifter is connected to it. As you rotate the shift selector inside the car, this switch is cycled thru its positions via the linkage.

To make the adjustment:

1) BLOCK the wheels & remove the key

2) solidfy your jacking with jack stands

3) set the e-brake nice and firm

4) select a #43drill bit (.0890in or 5/64ths will work) and put a mark or tape it at "just under 0.5in" from the butt end (not the sharp end)

4) Shift the transmission into NEUTRAL and try to center the shifter in the N position (try to center it's position there)

5) get under the car with your bit and a 1/2in (i think) socket (maybe 7/16ths)

6) Loosen the two hex bolts that hold the NSS to the trans housing

6) Insert the butt end of the drill bit into a very tiny and probably VERY dirty hole right in the center of the NSS housing.

7) Gently wiggle the NSS until your bit inserts itself a hairs-width less than 0.5in (to your mark)

8) You may need to loosen the shifter linkage to make effective adjustments

Once the bit is fully inserted,

9) center the NSS switch and tighten the 2 hex bolts that hold it in place.

10) decide if you want to adjust the linkage to center the shifter at N and do that

11) remove the bit

12) you're done.

I just installed my C4 awhile back and that's my best recollection of the process you need to use to make adjustments.

Jay

Back