Shocks

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdM

Reaction score
Between the Texas Hill Country and North Idaho
My Car
1973 Mach 1 Q code, a 427 Dart based Windsor, Pro Flo 4, Tremec 5 speed, A/C, 12.7:1 steering conversion, SoT coil over and Dakota Digital dash.
Soon I will be in the throes of a front end replacement in my 73 Q code Mach 1. It is all lousy goosy though the rest of the car is fully rebuilt circa 2005-8 with 5K miles since 2005. Springs and leafs were replaced though the PO's do not say with what. Front and rear sway bars at 1 1/8" and 7/8". It rides fine, a bit stiff, but has 2005 vintage KYB's that I do not like. I had them on my mid-60's 'vette's and did not like them then. Just seemed harsh from day one. The basics of the front will be open tracker roller spring perches, adjustable strut rods and the rest his standard stuff. Steering will be tweaked factory power with a tight box from Power Steering Inc. Just an A/C'd street burner that will eventually receive the milder Smeding 427 that tops out at ~460 HP or so. It will also receive a Tremec 5 speed and has a 3.50 tracklock. What shocks do folks recommend outside the KYB's?

I'd recommend KYB but I won't since you don't like them.

Here's a tip: you can drastically increase your range of choices if you swap the shock mounts for those for 1970 Mustangs. The market offers much more shocks for 1970 than for 197123.

There are for example currently no Konis for 1971 available but they exist for 1970.

Edit: of course if you want factory correct the above is a no go. I ever think of that because I only care how it drives.

I highly recommend the KYB EXCELL-G shocks. Perfect OE replacement. Won't make your car ride like a buckboard wagon.

-Travis

I highly recommend the KYB EXCELL-G shocks. Perfect OE replacement. Won't make your car ride like a buckboard wagon.

-Travis
I second Travis's recommendation. Also, you can pick them up now as they have a $40 rebate going on from KYB. I just picked up a delivered set of 4 from rockauto for $85 less rebate comes to $45.

I current have KYB Gas-A-Just shocks and I like them, but I see your not a fan of them.

So my next suggestion is Gabriele Gas shocks as Mrmach1 mentioned, from Napa, or AutoZone, I had those for years with a lifetime warranty, I did replace them 3 times under the warranty, that's why I wanted to try the KYB.

Could be they are available again. I know the front ones were unobtainable for the last few years.

The pics in that link show 1970 style front shocks.

Could be they are available again. I know the front ones were unobtainable for the last few years.

The pics in that link show 1970 style front shocks.
It wouldn't surprise me if that were the case but might be worth a call email to find out.

Appreciate the replies. Back in the day KYB's were also the go to on the earlier Corvette's. Any Bilstein experience?

Soon I will be in the throes of a front end replacement in my 73 Q code Mach 1. It is all lousy goosy though the rest of the car is fully rebuilt circa 2005-8 with 5K miles since 2005. Springs and leafs were replaced though the PO's do not say with what. Front and rear sway bars at 1 1/8" and 7/8". It rides fine, a bit stiff, but has 2005 vintage KYB's that I do not like. I had them on my mid-60's 'vette's and did not like them then. Just seemed harsh from day one. The basics of the front will be open tracker roller spring perches, adjustable strut rods and the rest his standard stuff. Steering will be tweaked factory power with a tight box from Power Steering Inc. Just an A/C'd street burner that will eventually receive the milder Smeding 427 that tops out at ~460 HP or so. It will also receive a Tremec 5 speed and has a 3.50 tracklock. What shocks do folks recommend outside the KYB's?
See also: http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-best-upgrade-i-ve-done-shocks

I'd recommend KYB but I won't since you don't like them.

Here's a tip: you can drastically increase your range of choices if you swap the shock mounts for those for 1970 Mustangs. The market offers much more shocks for 1970 than for 197123.

There are for example currently no Konis for 1971 available but they exist for 1970.

Edit: of course if you want factory correct the above is a no go. I ever think of that because I only care how it drives.
Do the 1970 shock tower caps fit the 1971 without modifying them? If so, this is a no brainier for me to get some Konis or Bilsteins on the 71.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do the 1970 shock tower caps fit the 1971 without modifying them? If so, this is a no brainier for me to get some Konis or Bilsteins on the 71.
Far as I know, yes. I believe this was one of the modifications that Ford's Tournament of Thrills stunt show was known for on their '71 Mustangs:

97vhgz.jpg

-Kurt

Just bought a set of Koni 82-1389 rear shocks,

have KYB Gas-A-Just for front as Koni does not

offer front shocks. We will see. Current rear

shocks are air shocks which I never liked but my

mechanic insisted on. So a set of working air

shocks will soon be available.

mike

IMG_20150410_211142.jpgIMG_20150410_210905.jpg

I had both styles of shocks and mounts sitting around. As best as I can tell the extended length is within a quarter inch of each other, and that could just be a variance in shock manufacturing. I was going to put Bilsteins all around on my 71, but now just in the rear with front coilovers. It is hard to see in the photos but the distance extended from the roller perch to the base of the shock mount is roughly 12 3/8"

I had both styles of shocks and mounts sitting around. As best as I can tell the extended length is within a quarter inch of each other, and that could just be a variance in shock manufacturing. I was going to put Bilsteins all around on my 71, but now just in the rear with front coilovers. It is hard to see in the photos but the distance extended from the roller perch to the base of the shock mount is roughly 12 3/8"
I couldn't figure out how to edit....

The upper photo is the 70' and earlier shock mount with a new cheapie shock bought for mock-up.

Lower photo is a 71-73 mount with old crusty mock-up shock.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just bought a set of Koni 82-1389 rear shocks,

have KYB Gas-A-Just for front as Koni does not

offer front shocks. We will see. Current rear

shocks are air shocks which I never liked but my

mechanic insisted on. So a set of working air

shocks will soon be available.

mike
How did you like the Koni shocks? How different is the feel?

Buy some cheap 70 shock tower caps and you can put Koni shocks on the front. :D

Back