Air condidion options

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brad_P

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang fastback
Hi all, im looking into putting Ac into my car. The car once had AC so the vents and controls are already in the car but nothing under the hood. I was told to look at Vintage air but they stop at 1970, what are my other options/recomendations?

Thanks

Second that - I went with Classic Auto Air. The system is great.

My only complaint - they couldn't give me a definitive answer about which belt to use with the new compressor. But, a string and a tape measure figured it out.

Thanks for the input. Since my car has all the internals could i just buy the evaporator kit or would it benifical to buy the whole kit?

If you look at the "Retrofit" section, they should have as many or as few pieces/parts/components as you might need.

Mine was a non-A/C car, so I went with a "Perfect Fit" (complete) system.

Hope this helps!

Brad_P,

I would recommend to have the A/C exchanger tested for leaks before installing the system. Since I am in the process of rebuild my 1973 coupe, I carried my exchanger to a shop and had them to test it for leaks. Yes, NO leaks. Just FYI!

mustang7173

I recently retrofitted my '79 Bronco with a 400 Cleveland with modern A/C. It was not very difficult or very expensive. If you have a SBF, your brackets to mount a Sanden/Seltec compressor will be different, but for an engine originally supplied with a York/Tecumseh compressor you can find adapters that bolt on to the existing bracket. With a Sanden ($200) or Seltec HD ($300) compressor in place (your selection will depend on what you want; Seltec HD is heavier duty and less vibration, Sanden slightly cheaper, but more vibration), you'll then need to purchase a parallel flow high efficiency condenser ($60-80), along with a new binary switch ($25), and receiver/dryer ($40). Assuming your evaporator is in good condition, have it flushed properly and replace the expansion valve with a new unit designed to work specifically with R-134a. At this stage all you need is new custom made lines designed for R-134a and you're ready to go (assuming your wiring and vacuum lines are good).

The end result in my Bronco was incredibly cold A/C and I'm about to do the same on my '71.

Went with Classic Auto Air. Love it! Very powerful and about as difficult to install as I anticipated. Not a simple plug and play, but not horrible either. Pick a half a day when you have nothing else to do. DEFINITELY bench test before installing just in case.

Back