how to remove instrument cluster

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

salhi_aemr

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Coupe Blue ( Sold )
1970 Mach 1 Red ( Sold )
1972 Mach 1 Gold ( Sold )
1973 Mustang Mach 1 Green ( Sold )
1973 Mustang Vert Yellow
1971 Mustang Mach 1 Pewter
1972 Mustang Mach 1 Grabber Blue
1971 Mustang Fastback Red
[url=https://ibb.co/dW1eva][img]https://preview.ibb.co/kxpoov/Mustang_Collections.jpg[/img][/url]
what would be easiest way to remove gauge cluster, my tach doesnt work and I want to fix it and look at wiring, I think my car orig came without a tach and previous owner added it but after I restored it my mechanic tried fixing it but now it doesnt work, I found this online and I want to trace the wires and make sure they are connected.

What is the easiest and simplest way to remove my cluster on 73 Mustang Mach 1.

Thanks for Rocketman Tachometer Wiring Diagram below.

View attachment 29379

The way I do it.

I remove the dash pad, then I remove the dash bezel, that will expose the 4 screws that hold down the gauges, next disconnect the Speedometer cable by pushing the white tab and pulling it out.

Then you have the wire harness and your out.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

It´s not always necessary but sometimes it helps if you loosen the screws on the steering column so it drop down a little. do not completely unbolt it but loosen the screws a little so it gives you more wiggle room to get the cluster out.

You´ll see whether or not that´s necessary while you´re working on it.

It´s not always necessary but sometimes it helps if you loosen the screws on the steering column so it drop down a little. do not completely unbolt it but loosen the screws a little so it gives you more wiggle room to get the cluster out.

You´ll see whether or not that´s necessary while you´re working on it.
+1

I too just loosen the four nuts under the steering column which lets it drop about 1/2 inch or so. I find I can remove all of the screws and with the cluster loose can reach in and unhook both the speedo and harness connector without having to remove the dash pad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Vinnie I see in your blog how you put it back together but cant find how you took it out process?

found it lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Another thing that might have got your tach. If you have MSD ignition you have to have a special tach drive to use the stock tach. I don't know the part number but sure someone here does. I need one also PO fried the tach also with MSD wired to tach.

On removing the gages like some said dropping the column helps a lot and put a towel over the column to protect from scratching the lens. If you have scratches the plastic head light polish does wonders clearing up the old lens.

If you clean up the faces of the gages be careful what you use. I used glass cleaner on the gage faces and that was fine but when I wiped the light cover that says brakes it took the letters off, sucks. It is riveted in and no easy to fix.

David

Back