Headlight switch knob

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

73429mach

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Mach 1
1972 Mustang Mach 1 under construction
Does anyone know if the 69-70 headlight switch knob interchanges with the 71-73? All the chrome is peeling off mine. I seen where 69-70 is available but not 71-73. From the pictures they look like the same knob, just didn't know if the length of the shaft is the same or if it installs the same. Thanks Ryan.

IMG_20151016_132237_240.jpg

I believe the 71-73 became available recently

http://www.ohiomustang.com/store/item_listing.asp

Don's site shows them out of stock right now, but I suggest you give him a call as he has access to some original parts and likely has one in better condition than yours (or mine for that matter)
They did become available but the quality went downhill REAL QUICK.

I stopped selling them.

The guy who had them made says the next batch will have better quality control...

I believe the 71-73 became available recently

http://www.ohiomustang.com/store/item_listing.asp

Don's site shows them out of stock right now, but I suggest you give him a call as he has access to some original parts and likely has one in better condition than yours (or mine for that matter)
They did become available but the quality went downhill REAL QUICK.

I stopped selling them.

The guy who had them made says the next batch will have better quality control...
So will the 69-70 interchange with the 71-73 or are they different?

Believe the 70 knob and shaft is a different length. Don @ Ohio Mustang Supply shows a listing (Item #HLK71) but site indicates out of stock. Might be worth a phone call to see if he has an ETA on the new knob or if he might have a decent used one. Some people have used the 71-73 cougar knob by heating the shaft with a soldering iron enough to pull the shaft out and switching it with the Mustang shaft using the same procedure. If you like the look of the 70 knob and shaft and it is cheaper you might try to switch the shafts using the same soldering iron procedure.

To remove the knob from any of the switch shafts, just clamp the shaft in a vise about 1/2" of the shaft and knob exposed, use a claw hammer to pry knob off.

I've tried mavericks torino all kinds of different ford's and they didn't work on my 72. Slightly different lengths

[align=justify]

I've tried mavericks torino all kinds of different ford's and they didn't work on my 72. Slightly different lengths
Thank you. That's what I needed to know. Ryan

Last edited by a moderator:
I would still check with Don to see if he has an ETA on the new knobs or if he has a used one. He has been great on coming up with a lot of hard to find used parts. Due to so many different dash board shapes and angles in all the different models Ford produced, there is unfortunately little interchangeably between them on the headlight knob and shafts. No matter which donor knob you choose to use or the method you use to remove the knob from the shaft, you must use the 71-73 shaft. Good luck on your "Quest"!

Back