Cooper Cobra or BFgoodrich ?

Anderslober

OK - so the local Paint Specialties store has never heard of 2 Pack reducer. Can I assume that's a brand name, and that paint reducer in general will work? I ask because they have Master Pro and U-POL products.

So, yesterday after I returned from O'Reilly Auto Parts with some Goo-Gone, I gave that a shot. Sprayed some on, let it sit about a minute, then vigorously scrubbed with a red shop cloth (trying to let the cleaner do the work, rather than scuff anything up). It helped a little - but still didn't get the letters all the way to a solid color yet (still a little faded, not quite 'white,' but closer).

Then I tried some Master Pro Surface Prep, and it didn't really do much, either.

I even got a Scotch Brite 320-grit pad, and it didn't do squat before it started giving up the ghost.

Then I tried some paint thinner (forgot the name brand), and it had the best results. They're still not 'white,' but at least almost all the same light color. I hit it with some Bleache-White to get the remaining chemicals off before calling it a day.

My next three options to try are:

• Mr. Clean Eraser Pad
  • House Of Kolors reducer I use for my airbrush
  • finally some Acid Wheel Cleaner I scored from a local car detailing shop when I was having a hard time getting rid of hard-water deposits on my '95 Honda's windows.

Any other ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Eric

mach1sig2.gif

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK - so the local Paint Specialties store has never heard of 2 Pack reducer. Can I assume that's a brand name, and that paint reducer in general will work? I ask because they have Master Pro and U-POL products.

So, yesterday after I returned from O'Reilly Auto Parts with some Goo-Gone, I gave that a shot. Sprayed some on, let it sit about a minute, then vigorously scrubbed with a red shop cloth (trying to let the cleaner do the work, rather than scuff anything up). It helped a little - but still didn't get the letters all the way to a solid color yet (still a little faded, not quite 'white,' but closer).

Then I tried some Master Pro Surface Prep, and it didn't really do much, either.

I even got a Scotch Brite 320-grit pad, and it didn't do squat before it started giving up the ghost.

Then I tried some paint thinner (forgot the name brand), and it had the best results. They're still not 'white,' but at least almost all the same light color. I hit it with some Bleache-White to get the remaining chemicals off before calling it a day.

• Mr. Clean Eraser Pad
  • finally some Acid Wheel Cleaner I scored from a local car detailing shop when I was having a hard time getting rid of hard-water deposits on my '95 Honda's windows.

Eric,

Most or all paint companies make their own version of reducers (fast, medium and slow) PPG, for example sell theirs. Buy medium or slow reducer for yourself. Remember, if the white lettering is in dirty, poor shape, it follows that you will have to put more rubbing or elbow grease into the letters to make them come up really white again.

https://www.welleauto.com/index.php/online-shopping#!/DT885-Slow-Reducer-PPG/p/50415751

http://www.tptools.com/U-Pol-Standard-Urethane-Reducer,8109.html

Greg.:)

:whistling: LORD, MR FORD - JERRY REED

Thanks, Greg. I kind of figured as much.

Sadly, the letters are in perfect shape - less than 20 miles on the tires... they just started going brown sitting in my garage. The only issue is that they're dirty (after a single shot of tire dressing at the car show in 2014) after just sitting in the garage, out of the wind, dust, sun, etc.

And it's only the fronts doing this - going brown from the tops of the letters inward on the sidewalls. The rear tires are not doing this in the least.

attachment.php?aid=35976

attachment.php?aid=40188

attachment.php?aid=35625

Eric

mach1sig2.gif

• Mr. Clean Eraser Pad

I spray brake cleaner on a rag and wipe each letter. It's fast, easy, and it works well. Then apply tire shine.

Ok guys/gals....awesome info all around. Wow....it seems the Cooper Cobras have a few pros and cons.....just like the other tires. Even the HP4000 tires that are on the car, have a few issues when googled!

I need LOOKS more than actual handling. The car will only rarely see rain orwet conditions. The car will not be driven aggressively at all. It will cruise around in the sunshine to a show here and there.....

So.........for the REAL looks.......I am gonna' go with either Cooper Cobras or Mastercraft Avengers. Can anyone help with getting me a set of Avengers and shipping to Denmark? I will pay all of course!

BFG's are nice too.....but are VERY common in the muscle car environment.......I would like something just a tad different........and those Avengers seem darn cool.

Ok guys/gals....awesome info all around. Wow....it seems the Cooper Cobras have a few pros and cons.....just like the other tires. Even the HP4000 tires that are on the car, have a few issues when googled!

I need LOOKS more than actual handling. The car will only rarely see rain orwet conditions. The car will not be driven aggressively at all. It will cruise around in the sunshine to a show here and there.....

So.........for the REAL looks.......I am gonna' go with either Cooper Cobras or Mastercraft Avengers. Can anyone help with getting me a set of Avengers and shipping to Denmark? I will pay all of course!

BFG's are nice too.....but are VERY common in the muscle car environment.......I would like something just a tad different........and those Avengers seem darn cool.

Hi again Anders,

If you really like the Mastercraft tires, then try your best to find a company in Denmark that imports them. If that fails, then try to find an American company that will ship them to your country.

You may wanna ask your local authorities if the tires need the "EU" stamp before you import tires yourself. Some countries require them.

If you want something different, try these guys

http://tredwear.com/

and get your own custom decals. Like "ANDERS" on top and "MACH-1 RADIAL" opposite. (btw "anders" means "different" in German, so it would be a perfect fit! :) )

Or just "Mach-1" and Radial GT" or whatever.

I'm pretty sure it's what they used on this car:

The other plus is that you can use tires with a more modern tread so that it improves handling and you're no longer limited by the small number of companies that offer raised white letters.

spacer.png
Mike
"If I were you...... I´d rather be me." 😛
Check out my video:
http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-my-mustang-in-action

if you want to kill yourself install cooper tires, i'm not kidding.

i wish there was a way to rent tires for testing for like 2 days, because you will not know the difference unless you had different tires on the car to see the handling difference.

i had cooper tires on my car for about 8 years. i thought that was just how things were the car felt like it was slipping all over the road in all conditions even worse when the road was wet. i fish tailed at least 2 times over the years in what should of been normal conditions almost hit a guard rail once.

a couple of years ago i googled cooper tires and it is like a rash all over the internet people taking about loosing control on the highway, crashing etc... i decided next set of tires was anything but coopers.

nobody makes tires basically you have cooper, BFG, pirelli. pirelli tires are like 400$ a tire. BFGs are at least half that so the choice was made BFG... GOODYEAR will custom make you a tire but it is more expensive then pirelli.

anyway really didn't think much of the BFG tires when i purchased them until my very first drive. night and day is an understatement.

call me a basher of tires until you try another manufacturer you have no idea as for tires i'm sure there is something better then BFG maybe the next tire i will find out. least i won't die just driving around at 30mph.

as an example of the change in grip, i have a 3:00 rear and with the coopers stopping on it allowed the car to do burn outs;

nothing changed except for the BFG tires and the tires just churp a little and the car goes.

good luck

if you want to kill yourself install cooper tires, i'm not kidding.

i wish there was a way to rent tires for testing for like 2 days, because you will not know the difference unless you had different tires on the car to see the handling difference.

i had cooper tires on my car for about 8 years. i thought that was just how things were the car felt like it was slipping all over the road in all conditions even worse when the road was wet. i fish tailed at least 2 times over the years in what should of been normal conditions almost hit a guard rail once.

a couple of years ago i googled cooper tires and it is like a rash all over the internet people taking about loosing control on the highway, crashing etc... i decided next set of tires was anything but coopers.

nobody makes tires basically you have cooper, BFG, pirelli. pirelli tires are like 400$ a tire. BFGs are at least half that so the choice was made BFG... GOODYEAR will custom make you a tire but it is more expensive then pirelli.

anyway really didn't think much of the BFG tires when i purchased them until my very first drive. night and day is an understatement.

call me a basher of tires until you try another manufacturer you have no idea as for tires i'm sure there is something better then BFG maybe the next tire i will find out. least i won't die just driving around at 30mph.

as an example of the change in grip, i have a 3:00 rear and with the coopers stopping on it allowed the car to do burn outs;

nothing changed except for the BFG tires and the tires just churp a little and the car goes.

good luck

Dan - nothing there, Man. I used the 'basher' term in a lovingly/brotherly manner (hence, the smiley). Your advice and information have been pretty much irrefutable since I've known you. You had a bad experience with the Cobras, just as others I've heard from as well - so, I get where you're coming from.

I honestly haven't had any bad experiences so far with my Cobras... but then again as I mentioned earlier, I only have something like 20 miles on them. I remain optimistic that they don't eventually experience the same issues yours did, but I'll still keep an eye out for trouble.

Eric

mach1sig2.gif

If i could jump back in here and add my 2 cents worth again.

Firstly, when drivers own any particular brand and style of tires and have had them on their car or cars for years, and tested them out well in most conditions, then you can bet they have come to know the tires pretty well and how they perform all 'round. So in that sense, every body has a story to tell based on their own experiences.

For example, Dan has given his feedback on Cooper Cobra tires based on his own experiences. I myself have never owned or driven on a set of Cooper Cobra tires in my life, so i wouldn't have a personal clue about those tires at all, and therefore can't comment on them at all. Also, many people have given me mixed feedback over the years on BFG's T/A Radials. Mixed is the word, as the reports have varied from a terrible shocking tire to a fantastic, best tire they have ever driven. I suspect though that BFG's quality and design has varied over the years from what i have heard, and that might have contributed to varied performance issues or handling issues.But again, i have never owned a set of T/A Radials,except when i bought my Mach 1. They were on the car when i bought it. I would have only driven about 50 miles, when i removed them and bought a new set of Avenger tires, and so can't really comment on them as well.

I have owned and driven on many Cooper Tire's Mastercraft Avenger GT's and think they are are great quality performance tire all 'round. I really have faith in them and think they are a fantastic tire, based on my own experiences.That's my personal story, and i have no hesitation in promoting these tires to other people based on my own experience.

So where it gets interesting is where you get back to the major brands themselves. Doing some research, reveals that the Cooper tire company of America makes several different brands of tires.(see my reference) For example, they make Mastercraft tires, Mickey Thompson Tires, Cooper Tires etc. From what i know in general, the Cooper Tire Company of America, has a good strong reputation in the world market place for producing quality tires. So what end's up being rather puzzling, is you can get a Cooper Cobra tire owner like Dan, who really low ranks and dislikes those tires, and on the other hand you can get an owner of the Mastercraft Avenger tires like myself, who speaks very highly of them, and likes them very much. That i don't understand, but it is what it is i guess, and that's that.

At the end of the day, it pays to listen to all the people who have had previous experience with their tires to help make up your mind as to which tire you eventually settle on buying for yourself.

REFERENCES:

http://mastercrafttires.com/Tires/Passenger.aspx

http://mastercrafttires.com/Tires/Passenger/Avenger-GT.aspx

http://coopertire.com/Our-Brands.aspx

http://us.coopertire.com/Tires/Passenger/COBRA-RADIAL-G-T.aspx

• Like 1

Excellent balanced view.........you would think since it is actually the same company producing the different tires that the tire compound would be almost the same. Just change the name on the tire every week, when a 'different' tire starts production!

Difficult this decision is, master Yoda! :-)

Excellent balanced view.........you would think since it is actually the same company producing the different tires that the tire compound would be almost the same. Just change the name on the tire every week, when a 'different' tire starts production!

Difficult this decision is, master Yoda! :-)

When you look around the world today, Anders, it's mind blowing how many base companies own heaps of other subsidiary companies as well, but trading under different names.:chin:

Top ten tire companies around the world.

http://top10-now.com/2015/09/19/top-10-tire-companies-in-the-world/

GENERAL REFERENCE:

https://www.reference.com/vehicles/american-owned-tire-companies-e2a2289365d30f67

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tire_companies

Thanks Austin Vert!

Cooper tire brands:

486536063_CooperTireBrands.thumb.JPG.790242e1c7e3260a38f9be3988ee5e0c.JPG

Ray

1971 Boss 351  

1972 Q code 4 speed convertible 

1971 Mustang Sportsroof  351-2V FMX 

1971 Hardtop (parts car)

1973 Mach 1 (parts car)

My car spun into a wall wearing Cooper Cobra tires, I pass on Cooper. I am currently using BFG but will consider other options next time I am purchasing tires as the cost is 50 percent higher versus previous tire purchases.

1971 Mustang

Grabber Lime with black deluxe interior

302 engine with C-4 transmission and 9" rear end with 3.50 gears

Anders,

Another option for you would be to try and find the right size tires to suit you that would be available in Denmark, and then apply your own lettering on those tires.

REFERENCES:

http://tredwear.com/product-category/muscle-tredz/

http://ironcrossinnovations.com/custom-tire-lettering-kits

Cheers,