$1k-$1.5k suspension budget?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
72 Mach 1, Q code 351CJ, 4 speed.
What upgrades/kits can I get with a budget between $1000 and $1500. I am doing a restomod on my '72 Q code. I habe the offset rear shocks and front \rear sway bars so I assume I have the performance option but obviously everything is worn out. I am going with 17" rims with 40 series tires.

What full kits and/or individual components do you all recommend and from who? Any other mods to consider??? Coil overs and a rack are out of the budget but maybe later on down the road.

Thanks!

Wade

That's a pretty good budget for a suspension upgrade. I too could not put out the coin for coil overs etc. Here is what I am doing. I have everything at home and ready to go on just waiting until the driving season is over to start.

Went with all stock style components up front from Moog. Got them from rock auto. I did install a heavier 1 1/8" front sway bar. 1" lowering blocks in back, 1" lowing springs up front, New UCA's and LCA's, all new tie-rod ends, bushings, spring perches, etc. To help give a little more stability to in cornering I fabricated and welded on stiffener plates on the LCA's to keep them from flexing during cornering and braking. Steering box will be sent out for a quick ratio rebuild and conversion. I also did new bushings on the rear springs and KYB gas-adjust shocks. All in I will be right under the $1,000 mark with the steering box rebuild. Here is a pic of the LCA's with the plates welded on. I am still considering the rear sway bar addition.

LCA2.jpg

LCA1.jpg

LCA3.jpg

Total Control Products has front coil-overs that can adjust ride-height/dampening and bolt-on directly to factory control arms - $800/pair. http://www.totalcontrolproducts.com/vas_bolton-co.html

Shelby Underrides or CalTechs are traction control arms that should help enhance the body-roll elimination of the rear sway bar.

Laurel Mountain Mustang has a Super Suspension Kit, that's pretty much a direct replacement of all factory components for right around what you're looking to spend. I went that direction, since I needed to replace everything anyway. You could probably get away with freshening up all the bushings, replacing the ball joints, new shocks, and adding some traction control since you already have the staggered shocks and sway bars. I'd consider the TCP front coil-overs and CalTechs in addition to new rear shocks and replacing all the bushings (and cleaning up all the components).

$1500 really isn't very much of a budget these days when it comes to suspension upgrades, unfortunately. Major changes in suspension functionality, ride height, and performance requires taking a big swing at things, considering today's prices. To really make a big difference in suspension performance, you almost have to drop the $5K on a Mustang II-style front kit, and 4-link rear axle set-up.

I think just tightening everything back up and adding some traction should get you closer to happy and stay close to your budget.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stay away from poly strut rod bushings, just the regular MOOG brand ones are a good choice with a budget build. You don't want the strut rod to bind and fatigue. Stick with rubber or spend big bucks and go spherical which will blow your budget.

Consider running early 67-70 upper shock tower mounts. They will give you more shock choices since you can run any of the shocks built for the earlier mustangs. They bolt right on. Buy the best shocks you can afford. Personally I like billstien.

If you have gobs of horsepower think about caltrack bars (this would also blow your budget). Another option is the Maier racing rear springs. They have multiple short leafs that only go from the leaf center towards the front eyelet. This makes them resist wrapping like a traction bar, but not overly stiff like a heavy spring.

You can get Moog lower and upper control arms along with strut rod bushings and front coil spring seats from Rock Auto, get some bilstein 55-R057 or 55-R083-1 front shocks (will need the 67-70 shock tower mounts) with the 55-R056 rear shocks. Maybe get some new front springs with spring rate appropriate for how you want to drive, some spring insulators, sway bar links and maybe squeak in some new rear springs. That should pretty much wipe out your budget.

I had not heard of Laurel Mountain so tried to find their website and no links worked? I did a bit of searching and found this. Was you experience positive?
Yes, actually. I gave my wife the kit/part numbers, she called them directly, apparently hit it off with the lady taking the order, and next thing I know I had a truck show up about a week later with a mini-pallet full of parts.

The only negative thing I can say about the experience is that I do not believe they shipped 1" drop front springs, rather than stock height front springs. Otherwise - no hassles, no problems, no disappointments.

Apparently, I am part of a seemingly small group who never had any issues with them. ::shrug::

looks like many people have had the same issue.

I also think they went out of business.
You know, now that you mention it I think you're right. Sorry... I should've maybe tried to hit their website before I went there. I just know I got what I believe was a good deal from them and had no issues (I needed a total replacement solution since my entire suspension system was so worn out and rusted).

For a $1500 budget I would go to none other than Open Tracker (made in USA) for the blue printed control arms, their reinforcing plates and rear springs. Then go to eBay and find the best deal (and you will find a good deal) on larger sway bars (any brand will do), polygraphite (not polyurethane) bushings (for the rear springs, sway links/brackets, etc) AND roller spring perches. If you need tie rods or such items all Moog.

Wait a while and save a bit more for the Bilstein shocks (a must) and you're all set.

http://opentrackerracing.com/product/street-performance-upper-control-arms-1967-1973-mustang/

Those 4.5 leaf opentracker rear leaf springs are a good value, a lot cheaper than the Maier ones. You really can't go wrong with those springs or the Maier ones. Both will lower you a bit and really cut down on wheelhop and deflection.

Also the opentracker Delrin spherical strut rod bushings are inexpensive. If I would have known about them I would have purchased them instead of the Maier ones.

As far as the Opentracker roller lower control arms I am not sure the cost benifit is there. Of all the things that deflect and screw up geometry up front the strut rod bushings are the main culprit.

scgamecock,

From the materials I have read, the replacement springs should have the same spring rate that installed from the factory. The key, is the spring rate. You can purchase the correct rated springs and have then with the lowering configuration built in.

https://www.eatondetroitspring.com/

s627gi.jpg

Here is the 1 inch lower configuration, same spring rates-

2u8xeuq.jpg

Just a suggestion!

mustang7173

I had not heard of Laurel Mountain so tried to find their website and no links worked? I did a bit of searching and found this. Was you experience positive?
Yes, actually. I gave my wife the kit/part numbers, she called them directly, apparently hit it off with the lady taking the order, and next thing I know I had a truck show up about a week later with a mini-pallet full of parts.

The only negative thing I can say about the experience is that I do not believe they shipped 1" drop front springs, rather than stock height front springs. Otherwise - no hassles, no problems, no disappointments.

Apparently, I am part of a seemingly small group who never had any issues with them. ::shrug::

looks like many people have had the same issue.

I also think they went out of business.
You know, now that you mention it I think you're right. Sorry... I should've maybe tried to hit their website before I went there. I just know I got what I believe was a good deal from them and had no issues (I needed a total replacement solution since my entire suspension system was so worn out and rusted).
Eric, I was in the same boat. I have heard a TON of bad stuff about laurel mountain mustang, but I always got all my stuff with 0 issues. I bought a lot of stuff from them over the years because they were close to me, a little over an hour away. I saved a ton of money on shipping by going to their shop and picking up my parts. But I also heard they closed up shop??? Not sure if that's true because I haven't bought anything for my car for a couple years.

Koni has some new shocks out the "STR~orange" one's (non-adjustable) that look like an overall great deal. For the rear leaf's you should consider using mid or reverse eye spring's for the lowest possible ride height that way the 40's will fill the rear well nicely. Del alum rear leaf bushing's/shackle's from Global west are nice as well and actually allow the removal of the rear sway bar if you decide to discard it. As for the front as another poster mentioned make sure to use rubber strut rod bushing's ( I currently have poly's on mine and need to switch them ).

PST has the Viking Front Coil over system (sort of pricey but maybe within budget). Just some random suspension thoughts ;)

Back