Update! Luxstang reinvents the wheel

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

I still wasn't entirely pleased with the result as I've mentioned previously so I tried something else. I guess I know now what it is with women and shoes. :)

I ordered rings for the 7x15 styled steel rims and who'da thunk they actually fit perfectly. 

So now it kinda looks like the original dish with rings setup only with a Magnum 500 underneath. 

I like it but there's something that I'm not quite sure about yet. I won't say it as I wanna know if it bugs someone else who'll point it out. :)

On a side note: i keep reading that the 15 inch tings for the bosses are unobtainable. Could these do the trick? I don't remember what they are supposed to look like.

IMG_8277.thumb.JPG.b2698bfb939fccda629e35d4dea3d950.JPG

spacer.png
Mike
"If I were you...... I´d rather be me." 😛
Check out my video:
http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-my-mustang-in-action

I like the look Mike.

Iyman

1972 Mustang Convertable :run_horse:  [button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/forum-garage?filterxt_uid=1507]Visit My Garage[/button]

Visit the Mustang Car Club of New England Facebook Page [button=https://www.facebook.com/MUSTANGCCNE]MCCNE FB Page[/button]

Visit the Mustang Car Club of New England Web Page [button=http://www.mccne.com/]MCCNE Web Page[/button]

Satin finish dishes and polished shine rings? Is that what you were referring to?

Those rings are not too terribly different to the original style. The original rings have a flat 1/2 inch "filler" area that covers the area fron the inside of the slope on the ring to the dish. There remains a very small 1 or 2 mm gap between the dish and the ring on the original.

Your aftermarket rings are a very good substitute.

spacer.png

Ding, Ding, ding! We have a winner. 

I was wondering whether the fact that the rings are shiny whereas the dishes are brushed should bother me. I haven't decided yet. On one hand it doesn't really together on the other hand it kinda looks like it was meant to go together. 

What's the forum's verdict on that? 

Yeah I remember that the original ones had the lip that almost lined their edge up with the trim ring. I wonder if I could make it look more original if I painted that part of the rim argent/silver/gray or whatever it'd take to blend the gap in with the rest. Here's a pic from up front. 

The gap with the dark rim makes two dark circles with the ones painted on the dishes.

IMG_8291.thumb.JPG.4650638eaceac8773760dcb44e8b6d00.JPG

spacer.png
Mike
Check out my video:

Oh, I see that I took the picture a little off center. The cap looks off to the center in the pic, whereas in reality it's centered on the wheel and the distance to the ring is the same all the way around.

spacer.png
Mike
Check out my video:

I still wasn't entirely pleased with the result as I've mentioned previously so I tried something else. I guess I know now what it is with women and shoes. :)

I ordered rings for the 7x15 styled steel rims and who'da thunk they actually fit perfectly. 

So now it kinda looks like the original dish with rings setup only with a Magnum 500 underneath. 

I like it but there's something that I'm not quite sure about yet. I won't say it as I wanna know if it bugs someone else who'll point it out. :)

On a side note: i keep reading that the 15 inch tings for the bosses are unobtainable. Could these do the trick? I don't remember what they are supposed to look like.

I love the wheels On your ride. Where did you get the 15 inch trim rings ?

adpic.jpg

I like the bright trim rings and the black gap, gives it more definition and a better feeling of depth.

“If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.”

--Albert Einstein

I like the bright trim rings and the black gap, gives it more definition and a better feeling of depth.

Ok, good point. I hadn't seen it that way. I'll let that sink in. 

What's your take on the shiny rings vs brushed dish issue?

spacer.png
Mike
Check out my video:

I thought you just liked playing Barbie dress up with your car but the shoe example works well too. Hahaha

spacer.png

I think the shiny vs brushed looks fine. The gap also looks okay. I like the idea of painting the wheel argent or a light silver color. That may add sme refinement to the look. Be careful to tape off a good circular edge in the "spokes" on the wheer at the base of the dish. If you jt spray it the 5 spokes will show up in the gap where the spokes meet the dish.

spacer.png

I think the shiny vs brushed looks fine. The gap also looks okay. I like the idea of painting the wheel argent or a light silver color. That may add sme refinement to the look. Be careful to tape off a good circular edge in the "spokes" on the wheer at the base of the dish. If you jt spray it the 5 spokes will show up in the gap where the spokes meet the dish.

Oh! Good thinking on the spoke issue. Yeah, I think the small recesses where the dish doesn't completely cover the spokes would show as darker areas. So I'd have to keep that area dark. 

I hadn't considered that! Thanks! 

And yes, it's a little like playing dress up. :)

spacer.png
Mike
Check out my video:

The brushed dish adds to the depth look, plus I think they look good together.

“If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.”

--Albert Einstein

Considering what a set of 15" NOS trim rings cost (if you can even find 'em) I think your trim ring/caps combo looks great. Only people like "Us" would notice the gap left by non-OE trim rings. And...it also leaves your wife with more shoe money!    :whistling:

Steve

No Officer...I really don't know how fast I was going, my speedometer stopped at 140!

The brushed dish adds to the depth look, plus I think they look good together.

Ok. Thanks for your input. It was like I felt it should bother me but it didn't really so I wasn't sure my judgement was right. :)

spacer.png
Mike
Check out my video:

Oh! Good thinking on the spoke issue. Yeah, I think the small recesses where the dish doesn't completely cover the spokes would show as darker areas. So I'd have to keep that area dark. 

I hadn't considered that! Thanks! 

And yes, it's a little like playing dress up. :)

I say just keep 'em how they are.  If you paint the rims argent to fill the dark void, you're going to have 5 argent areas and 5 void areas, since only the spokes can hold the paint (the voids, not so much).

Eric

mach1sig2.gif

They are powder coated so paint adherence shouldn't be an issue. I'll just end up with a third kind of silver after the shiny chrome and the brushed caps.

EDIT: Oh, now I get it! You mean the holes/ openings in the rim! The dishes cover the voids completely.

spacer.png
Mike
Check out my video: