Restoring Magnum 500 rims?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

red73mustang

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Convertable
So I have a set of used 14 inch Magnum 500 rims that have the satin black paint starting to peel off.   Has anyone made a masking template or a tutorial on how to restore these?

Thanks, Chet

I posted a thread on how to clean the Magnum 500 wheels before but will give info here again. I use a 50 gallon heavy duty garbage can and molasses. You get the molasses at your local feed store for less than $20.00 for 5 gallons. So you mix the molasses with 9 parts of water that gives you 50 gallons of de-rust mixture that works great with no effort, little expense and it is much safer than some of the products like evapo rust.

The molasses will take the rust off but not paint unless there is rust under the paint. It will not hurt the chrome either. It will not take oil or grease off so has to be oil and grease free going in. The wheel in the pictures sat in barn for over 25 years and was nothing but crusty rust and it came out looking new. Two weeks in the solution. I usually take out after a week and brush it with a regular scrub brush not wire and put back in.

I ordered the paint masks from NPD they have them also but have not used them. Got busy on other projects. I keep something in my tank all the time. Did four sets of hood hinges the other day and couple sets of hood lock brackets. I will put in a very large tank this winter to be able to do hoods, doors etc.

I did a set of long sweep cast iron Pontiac HO headers for a friend the other day. No rust inside or out looked like new iron. It will rust very quick so take out rinse off and spray with WD-40 to prevent rust.

When I took the wheel out I scrubbed it with dawn, washed with lacquer thinner and sprayed with clear lacquer to prevent rust again. Nothing will repair the chrome unless you have redone which gets very expensive on a Mag. 500.

So brief.

9 to 1 water and molasses

Heavy duty Brut garbage can with cover

Remove any oil or grease before putting in molasses

Remove after a week and brush some of the crust off.

Two weeks take out and wash and check for any remaining rust.

Wash and spray clear.

I have not checked to see if it hurts aluminum so caution there.

There is a natural acid in molasses that does the job.

Yes that is the same wheel before and after. You will have to wire brush the bead to get the rubber off but the rust is easy part.

Threw in a couple pics of 429 header and convertible inside windshield header trim. Need a deeper tank to do long parts. Going to get one of the bulk chemical containers for big parts. All I know is that it works great is cheap and safe unless you have bears in the area lol.

Back