Fan Shroud Re-Finish

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1
1971 Ranchero
I have a fan shroud that has gray showing through the black finish. At first, I thought someone had painted it gray, but it turns out, the black is what has peeled/scratched off in areas. I blasted the inner surface to test the waters and it appears this is some sort of fiberglass. It's a usable shroud and I'd like to save it, but it looks pretty bad.

My question is, what have you folks used successfully to re-finish a shroud? Was thinking SEM plastic paint, like I've used for interior parts, but also wonder if satin enamel will work...a bit cheaper than the SEM stuff.

I used regular 'ol satin black rattle can paint on many of my shrouds. The SEM Trim Black would work well too.
That's what I used too SEM Trim Black. To keep the fiber glass look, I just misted the paint on, so basically just a light coat. The greying was more likely just from age.

Attachments

• IMG_1548.JPG
    IMG_1548.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
This will require more than a light coat to blend the black vs gray. I don't recall where I got this shroud, so I have no idea of its history (getting old sucks). It has a sun-bleached appearance, but it's on both sides and appears uniform throughout....which leads me to believe it was gray and sprayed black....or, as you say, it aged and became gray.

Thanks for your input, your shroud looks great.

This will require more than a light coat to blend the black vs gray. I don't recall where I got this shroud, so I have no idea of its history (getting old sucks). It has a sun-bleached appearance, but it's on both sides and appears uniform throughout....which leads me to believe it was gray and sprayed black....or, as you say, it aged and became gray.

Thanks for your input, your shroud looks great.
Thanks. Just build it up in light coats as you don't want it to look too smooth and shiny.
One more thing. If you have any small cracks or damaged areas, I found a product called "Bondic" that is a UV activated adhesive. This shroud in the pic, was one I picked up cheap and refinished. It had a couple of small cracks that I fixed with Bondic. My other shroud had a large crack on the top where it looks like someone lent on it too hard and cracked it. I was able to fix it with Bondic and it barely shows now.

Last edited:
Back