AOD transmission swap in Dallas ft worth

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toastintx

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1 351C
Ok guys need help finding a place that will swap my fmx for a AOD in the dallas ft worth area. Most places tell me it cant be done, or they just don't do it. I wanting to switch out my FMX with an AOD and install 3.55 rear gears. I have a 351c 2v. Can anyone hook me up.

Thanks

Johnny

Planning myself the same swap, I've looked for answers. Ordering in the states is expensive from here, so I want make sure I get the right stuffs.

So I can tell you first that the guys telling you its not possible are wrong. Simply because the FMX "is" an AOD with no overdrive,

or better said, that's the ancestor of the AOD.

They do share same SB bolt patern on engine side. On some FMX if the yoke has 15 spline you should be good too.

Otherwise, you need a dedicated yoke. The TCI techs,(regarding their street fighter AOD) they told me the shaft doesn't need be shortened. The support/crossmember could also be used with very little mod.

the converter "could" fit too, but that needs to be checked depending on pump shaft you have. Having a 11inch, 2500 TCI converter they told me the serial was ok, but not sure

this was the right converter combo for the trans. They were vague about what should be the right one for my 341c 4v combo. So still in not sure if i need a new one or not.

What I do not know also is the details of the shifter linkage. From some Ford info I got there is 2 different orientations/layout for it and not sure which one should be correct for mustang 7173.

The odometer gear needs be changed and there is also the KD question which is atm unclear to me.

Having a t-bird 93 with AOD, I will be able to look at more details soon and get more answers but first need to have free space in garage.

Please keep up posted on this if you find a place...

Luxstang did an extensive write up about this swap complete with pictures.  It's in the Tech forum.  Here's a link to his thread.  https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-fmx-to-aod-swap-complete-report?highlight=AOD+swap.  

I hope that helps you get started.

Broader Performance in Weatherford, TX. could probably point you to a shop in the Dallas area. Chuck

Back