Radiator air deflector

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Ford Mustang Q-code convertible
Hi guys,

I have a question about the rubber strip that is installed on top of the radiator... the radiator air deflector.

There is a seller on eBay that mentions that these deflectors are for :

- ALL 1971-1972 models 

- ONLY the 1973 351-2V with automatic transmission 

Can somebody confirm which engine type / which year had these deflectors? I have a 1973 351-4V , so I would like to know if this info is correct.

Thanks for the input.

Last edited by a moderator:
JD79, the deflector is sourced from the 70-71 Torino, so DOOZ-8349-A is the Torino part number the aftermarket often identifies this part by. Never really paid much attention to the applications for this part until I saw your post. The 65-72 Ford MPC indicates fitment for all 71-72 Mustangs with the 26" wide radiator. The 73-79 catalog only shows fitment for the 73 "H" 351 2bl with A/T. Who knows what the reasoning was for that change!!

Hope David (Carolina_Mountain_Mustang)  doesn't mind me using an under hood photo from his 12,000 mile 73 Q Mach 1. It clearly shows there is no deflector on his Mach 1.

Dave 73Q.jpg

Question is now if there SHOULD be a deflector or not! Even it is a 12k miles car it could be thrown away...

Funny - I came across the same question these days and searched around to find some on Epay...

We have to clearing that out - I have a 1973 351C 4V too and the whole thing would cost me 70 Dollars to Germany with shipping and customs - not a bargain for a litte rag of rubber :p

I think it is basically a "gap filler" between the rad and the support that will stop air escaping, thus pulling more through the rad.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. It may also have been dropped as a cost saver. Who knows, but I think it does look more "finished" with the strip in there.

Question is now if there SHOULD be a deflector or not! Even it is a 12k miles car it could be thrown away...

Funny - I came across the same question these days and searched around to find some on Epay...

We have to clearing that out - I have a 1973 351C 4V too and the whole thing would cost me 70 Dollars to Germany with shipping and customs - not a bargain for a litte rag of rubber :p
If I recall correctly, David (Carolina_Mountain_Mustang) bought his car new. He still has the original old style R12 A/C lines on the car. I doubt David would have removed the rad deflector.

You mean this piece?

It's not rubber it's plastic like behind the dash (wiring sleeves)
Hi Eddy, that is the part I mean. You actually showed me that part when I visited you last year! It looks like it is not applicable to my 1973 351-4V...
I don't know that for sure(1973 351-4V), on a '73 351-2V it's standard.

See picture on a original Mustang(the first owner say's "untouched")

Different mounting place/methode between pic.1 and 2... the first pic. looks more possible to original.

I have a few (sale video's) from Q-code's Mustangs and they have this plastic wind deflector lip also...

IMG_2526.JPG

Ive had this trim piece on various mustangs and cougars V8s. 71-73 (Not sure about 6 cylinder stangs never had one) but seems there were on all V8s but not 100% sure. They split at the edge so probably get tossed quickly.

Back