Radiator air deflector

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You mean this piece?

It's not rubber it's plastic like behind the dash (wiring sleeves)
Yep, that's it.......... and it's on a 73!

Oh! I'm referring to the pic on page 1 with the arrow.
It appears to be standard on a 73 with the 351 2V only and not on the other engine options. For the 71 and 72 it appears to be standard on all versions. I am trying to confirm if this info is correct. It is stated by the seller of this part: 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-1970-71-Torino-Air-Deflector-Radiator-Top-Montego-73-Mustang-Galaxie-Ford/322517304859?fits=Year%3A1973%7CModel%3AMustang&hash=item4b1787861b:g:O5QAAOSw2xRYdz-o&vxp=mtr

As secluff mentioned in an earlier post : The 73-79 catalog only shows fitment for the 73 "H" 351 2bl with A/T 

I have a 1973 351 4V myself. I wonder why this version wasn’t equipped with a deflector in 1973

I remember remarking to Boss 1 Ray that I would love for us to snag someone either retired or still active at Ford that could help explain some of these Oddities that us "Commoners" don't understand. The cars I've seen with the deflector are pretty well in line with what the 65-72 and 73-79 catalog indicates. The "DOOZ" deflector was used on 70-72 full size Fords, 70-71 Torino, 70-73 Mustang and sister Mercury vehicles. With 1973 introducing even more emission control related equipment, the load on the cooling system for all engine sizes had increased substantially. That's why the 351 2bl only application for 73 seems so puzzling to me. And as Geoff stated, it helped channel air into the radiator and does give a more "Finished" look.  

As far as David's car, besides needing a bath, it is pretty much the same way it left Dearborn in May 1973. He said he parked it 1983 and has not cranked or driven it since. So what you see under the hood is the same as it was equipped in 1973!

I don't know other than expense factors that led to drop the deflector on the '73 4V Mustangs when 71/72 all had them...

All right - since I do a Concourse Resto-Mod which is a mostly correct '73 but with some original period correct '71 features he (the Mustang) must have had I bought a set and will install it - I also have a original looking ram air so now the circle closes :D :whistling: ::thumb::

Me being an old guy that did ordered a new fresh from the factory H code Mach in march of 72 can add that it never had that piece thinking because it didn't have A/C. Most of the 71/73 parts cars I had over the years only had it for A/C to pull more air though the condenser. As mentioned most split at the fold and just got toss.

Mmmmh, that sounds reasonable... But: Davids original 4V has A/C and no deflector, and another original left car has no A/C but a deflector here in the pictures. So perhaps it is the right trace but not A/C as indicator...?!?

Gesendet von meinem F5121 mit Tapatalk

My 71 M code was as original as it gets under the hood when I bought it. No A/C or anything else for that matter and it HAD the "deflector" or whatever it's called, so I would guess that all the V8's in 71 had them, so if they were getting deleted on some later models and not others, was it penny pinching on Ford's part? That or these parts just got tossed when rads were replaced, not put back on. What else????

The pic is from when I first stripped the front end for engine rebuilding in 2012. What you see is factory. Little work was ever done under the hood. Oh! for the eagle eyed, the carb was replaced with a Holley, but I do have the original!

Last edited by a moderator:
My 71 M code was as original as it gets under the hood when I bought it. No A/C or anything else for that matter and it HAD the "deflector" or whatever it's called, so I would guess that all the V8's in 71 had them, so if they were getting deleted on some later models and not others, was it penny pinching on Ford's part? That or these parts just got tossed when rads were replaced, not put back on. What else????

The pic is from when I first stripped the front end for engine rebuilding in 2012. What you see is factory. Little work was ever done under the hood. Oh! for the eagle eyed, the carb was replaced with a Holley, but I do have the original!

All,

Accord to FMC Master Catalog,

Source: Ford master parts catalog -Copy right May, 1975

Good references and picture ::thumb:: 

Perhaps these parts were tossed early because they wore relatively fast out... And/or Ford was then very picky on the financial side since the '72 models...

Hello timachone,

Remember that Catalog for 71/ " F " means 1971 and on. So the 71 thru 72 had the deflector for the 26 inch radiators. It is weird that it does not mention core, 2 or 3, as a criteria. With the 3 core, the deflector would be more narrow.

Maybe it had something to do with the ordering district as the south and southwest being a much warmer climate. For 72 ford had cut the car prices a bit (today they call it a rebate) to compete, so maybe the first too go was that plastic thing. The 72 I have now days was ordered for the Richmond VA district 9/28/71. Early built and sat on a car lot till May of 72 when sold. It had A/C and that filler. As for any model year, things change. Who knows... Wouldn't surprise me if a dealer that had a new car customer with an A/C complaint, that they just went out to the lot and took one off and seen if that helped (and billed ford for warranty work). GOT TO MAKE MONEY SOMEHOW

Hello timachone,

Remember that Catalog for  71/  " F " means 1971 and on. So the 71 thru 72 had the deflector for the 26 inch radiators. It is weird that it does not mention core, 2 or 3, as a criteria. With the 3 core, the deflector would be  more narrow.

I have a 3-core, looking forward to the fitment!

Maybe it had something to do with the ordering district as the south and southwest being a much warmer climate.  For 72 ford had cut the car prices a bit (today they call it a rebate) to compete, so maybe the first too go was that plastic thing. The 72 I have now days was ordered for the Richmond VA district 9/28/71. Early built and sat on a car lot till May of 72 when sold.  It had A/C and that filler. As for any model year, things change.  Who knows... Wouldn't surprise me if a dealer that had a new car customer with an A/C complaint, that they just went out to the lot and took one off and seen if that helped (and billed ford for warranty work). GOT TO MAKE MONEY SOMEHOW
Interesting :goodpost:

Hello timachone,

Remember that Catalog for  71/  " F " means 1971 and on. So the 71 thru 72 had the deflector for the 26 inch radiators. It is weird that it does not mention core, 2 or 3, as a criteria. With the 3 core, the deflector would be  more narrow.
I was able to sqeeeeeze the stock deflector in with a 4 core. I just tucked it under the top of the radiator support and clipped it 6 clips until it flexed enough to stay in place with the standard 4 clips. So 3 should work too with the stock deflector.

If remember correctly a 2 or 3 core share the same top and bottom manifold. Looking back I already was running a 3 core in the 72 and it would heat up in traffic. Took a junk 2 core to the rad shop to use the top and bottom and recore it to a 4. The man politely says I'm wasting my money, but also said if somebody has too, he be glad too take it. He was right. I needed a HD fan clutch and the problem was solved...

The 71 Boss 351 that was auctioned at Mecum with 800 or so original miles on it did not have the deflector. Maybe it is true that the Ford factory would randomly install them.

Catching up on some.

I saw Steve used pic of my original one owner Mach 1 Q and he is correct it NEVER had the deflector. Have seen a couple others and they did not. In 73 Ford took what they could off the cars to reduce cost due to having to meet the new crash standards. I would guess that was one of the things they eliminated. They do all kinds of heat testing and probably showed it was not needed.

Yes my 73 H code cars have the deflector.

David

Catching up on some.

I saw Steve used pic of my original one owner Mach 1 Q and he is correct it NEVER had the deflector. Have seen a couple others and they did not. In 73 Ford took what they could off the cars to reduce cost due to having to meet the new crash standards. I would guess that was one of the things they eliminated. They do all kinds of heat testing and probably showed it was not needed.

David
 Yeah, but they look better, more finished.

Catching up on some.

David
Interesting! Thanks for the Q-code engine didn't have it.

Latest posts

Back