Dash Speaker Grille/Bracket

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fabrice, in a convertible I used the stock dash speaker location with a twin speaker (left & right channels) as my front channel and the stock door speaker locations as my rear L&R channels. In a vert there is no other place to put them and have 4 channel stereo without making modification to the interior panels.

They make aftermarket twin dash speakers made specifically to fit the original mono dash speaker bracket.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fabrice, in a convertible I used the stock dash speaker location with a twin speaker (left & right channels) as my front channel and the stock door speaker locations as my rear L&R channels. In a vert there is no other place to put them and have 4 channel stereo without making modification to the interior panels.

They make aftermarket twin dash speakers made specifically to fit the original mono dash speaker bracket.
I see the 'where to put more speakers' issue, but as you are in between door and center dash, the nearest speaker left of center plays same part of the stereo as in the door no? Aren't you then listening mostly left side source and have the right side playing a lesser role?

And adding a speaker under dash at column and under glove box would not be better?

I see the 'where to put more speakers' issue, but as you are in between door and center dash, the nearest speaker left of center plays same part of the stereo as in the door no? Aren't you then listening mostly left side source and have the right side playing a lesser role?

And adding a speaker under dash at column and under glove box would not be better?
You are correct, it is less than ideal, especially if you are only splitting 2 channels left and right. I find that I can hear the right door speaker just fine and the  dash speakers being up higher works okay. 

With the A/C air ducts running left right and center thru the top part of the dash I have little room to drop in speakers anywhere else. I don't know much about the duct work in a non-A/C car, but there may be more room without the top center console vent to spread the dash speakers out. 

I think the setup works better with four discrete stereo channels where you can adjust left/right and front/rear balance. I  am using the original AM/FM radio, so I added a small four channel inline amplifier/equalizer that splits the left and right channels from the original radio into four discrete channels, which allows me to increase the wattage, amplify the volume, and adjust the base, treble individually between all four channels and has an input jack for my MP3 music player. The little device helps to increase the power and improve the sound of that old 45 year old radio. It's adequate for my purposes and allows me to keep it looking 100% original.

I ended up copying this and found out that 4 inch speakers were the best fit in that space.

Back