Speaker door wiring question

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrantOv

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Mach1
I'm thinking about putting speakers in my doors. I see what looks like the remnants of previous speaker wires under my front quarter panels (white - don't worry, I these will be removed and not reused). What I don't see is a path for speakers to travel from body to door. First question - are these white wires old speaker wires? and 2nd, what methods are recommended for running and protecting the wires from body to door?

Attachments

• IMG20240414122153.jpg
    IMG20240414122153.jpg
    209.1 KB · Views: 0
I'm thinking about putting speakers in my doors. I see what looks like the remnants of previous speaker wires under my front quarter panels (white - don't worry, I these will be removed and not reused). What I don't see is a path for speakers to travel from body to door. First question - are these white wires old speaker wires? and 2nd, what methods are recommended for running and protecting the wires from body to door?
Factory wire door bellows:

Attachments

• 20240414_162208.jpg
    20240414_162208.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1
Did you have to take the doors off to cut the holes I assume?

Did you have to take the doors off to cut the holes I assume?
This is a factory Ford setup on my car. You could drill a much smaller hole in the door and frame for just your speaker wire if you don't use the factory wire connectors. Use maybe a small angle drill (or 90 degree drill adapter) for about 1/2" hole on each side; use a rubber grommet in the drilled holes. Use an appropriate size soft rubber or even woven wire sleeve as your door to frame tunnel. Just throwing out options. Good luck with it

It looks like your PO just ran the speaker wires from the kick panel to behind the door panels.

On my current car, I drilled the factory holes out in the doors and cowl and found some original Ford boots on eBay that keep the speaker wires as well as power window wires (if equipped) safe. Of course I have the luxury of having the car blown apart for a full restoration, so that makes it a whole lot easier to pre-drill them. I plan to add speakers when I assemble the car and wanted to pre-drill all the holes before I paint.

Back in high school I had a 73 Mach 1, in that car I drilled smaller holes in pretty much the same location with the doors on the car. I drilled the holes using a 90 degree air drill I borrowed from one of the body techs at work. I inserted a plastic bushing in each hole I drilled and fed the speaker wires through those bushings. I never had a problem with them and the plastic bushings kept the wires safely away from the sheet metal. I did not use any kind of sleeve to cover the wire but that would make it look much nicer and help protect the wires.

Attachments

• Mach 1 409.jpg
    Mach 1 409.jpg
    224.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Mach 1 410.jpg
    Mach 1 410.jpg
    221.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Mach 1 411.jpg
    Mach 1 411.jpg
    225.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Mach 1 412.jpg
    Mach 1 412.jpg