Thermostats and Cooling ????

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Sportsroof. Currently a work in progress!!!
I saw this on the web.  Thoughts? The part number is S 333 192 in the pics he displayed.

Well Never mind...I see it's already on here.

What do we use for a replacement?

For all of you 351-C owners out there. Some are probably not aware that the cooling system in the block of a 351 Cleveland is unique to this engine. In an effort to improve the emissions from the engine the engineers have like a two stage water flow built into the block. If you remove the thermostat housing that is mounted to the block and not the intake like most Ford engines. Look down into the block and you should see a baffle or plug in the block with a smaller hole in the center. The original thermostats for this engine were unique in that they had a hat shaped piece that went into the opening when the engine reached operating temp and changes the flow of the coolant.

The correct thermostats are getting pricy for sure but none of the replacements are correct and can lead to heating issues with the Cleveland engine. Both 2-V and 4-V are the same. I was lucky to find a stash of the correct ones and here are some pictures and the part numbers on the boxes. I have sold all of the extras I had for $25.00 each and went like hot cakes. If you do not use this thermostat you will need to do a modification that someone came up with that is also not cheap. Google the coolant flow for the Cleveland to better understand it. I have 7 of the Mustangs with this engine.

If you find any of the correct thermostats at your local parts house scoop them up and sell to members. They are very difficult to find and the only one that works correctly. If your Cleveland has not been cooling correctly this could be the reason.

Last edited by a moderator:
As the story goes, Bunkie knudsen brought over a bunch of GM engeers and they desgned to 335 block, which is why it carries some similarities to a 60s oldsmobile engine. I believe GM engines use a similar hat type thermostat.

Edited: correction although the links i provided below claim to work with 351C and 351M and 400, these 330 types are not correct and will not work properly unless you also use a modified bypass plate as other members on this thread have correctly pointed out. Please refer to their links for the 333 types in the later posts.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/mr-gasket-high-performance-thermostat-4364/17360033-p?c3ch=PLA&c3nid=17360033-P&adtype=pla_with_promotion&gclid=CjwKCAjwma3ZBRBwEiwA-CsblHZ3gyx_cDQowKEthfi4JZaGthFXKSnbPdVvZlwxlpWTDWWgk4giFxoCA1cQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/bra-330-160?seid=srese1&cm_mmc=pla-google-_-shopping-_-srese1-_-flowkooler&gclid=CjwKCAjwma3ZBRBwEiwA-CsblLDYGsPsimzEjPD1QYZaJr6KA22Z2bG1OLP3JfgRZl-844velrNcfRoCS4sQAvD_BwE

Here is the correct t-stat with a new a new plate. He also has the heater hose nipple for the block.

https://www.tmeyerinc.com/product/high-flo-thermostat/

The machine that made the hat in thermostat was broke Tim paid to have it fixed and now we have 351c t-stats again.

I saw this on the web.  Thoughts?  The part number is S 333 192 in the pics he displayed.  

Well Never mind...I see it's already on here.

What do we use for a replacement?

For all of you 351-C owners out there. Some are probably not aware that the cooling system in the block of a 351 Cleveland is unique to this engine. In an effort to improve the emissions from the engine the engineers have like a two stage water flow built into the block. If you remove the thermostat housing that is mounted to the block and not the intake like most Ford engines. Look down into the block and you should see a baffle or plug in the block with a smaller hole in the center. The original thermostats for this engine were unique in that they had a hat shaped piece that went into the opening when the engine reached operating temp and changes the flow of the coolant.

The correct thermostats are getting pricy for sure but none of the replacements are correct and can lead to heating issues with the Cleveland engine. Both 2-V and 4-V are the same. I was lucky to find a stash of the correct ones and here are some pictures and the part numbers on the boxes. I have sold all of the extras I had for $25.00 each and went like hot cakes. If you do not use this thermostat you will need to do a modification that someone came up with that is also not cheap. Google the coolant flow for the Cleveland to better understand it. I have 7 of the Mustangs with this engine.

If you find any of the correct thermostats at your local parts house scoop them up and sell to members. They are very difficult to find and the only one that works correctly. If your Cleveland has not been cooling correctly this could be the reason.
Tim,

That was me, lol. I sold the thermostats here I thought you got one of them. It is a mystery to me why they do not make them correct. Not a difficult thing to do if you are in the business of making thermostats.

David

Here is the correct t-stat with a new a new plate. He also has the heater hose nipple for the block.

https://www.tmeyerinc.com/product/high-flo-thermostat/

The machine that made the hat in thermostat was broke Tim paid to have it fixed and now we have 351c t-stats again.
+1I talked to Tim Mayer and confirmed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Thanks for reminding about this, Tim

I saw, a couple of weeks ago, that T Meyer had the thermostat and brass disk, and had started updating the 351C Cooling System document in this link, but got side-tracked.

https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-351c-cooling-system?pid=215259#pid215259
Hi guys. I am really a newbie here. I have a 1972 Mustang fastback with 351C-2V. My engine temperature shows to be hot but has never overflowed. I have replaced the radiator with a new 3 core and didnt really help. Looks like i needed to come here a long time ago. 

I have to admit a little confused on what thermostat i need. I printed off the Advanced link but maybe thats not the correct one.

Please advise which one i need and what temperature is most recommending?  

I cant remember looking at thermostat. If need the T Meyer one i probably need to pull mine and make sure what i have before i order.

Thanks again.

Bruno

Yes, I would pull the thermostat and make sure you have the brass disk, before ordering a new thermostat. All of the ones I listed in the cooling system document are the correct ones.

The one from TMeyer is likely to be the best quality of those listed, plus he has the brass disk, if needed.

As for temperature, 180° minimum unless you still have the emissions equipment operable, then I would install the 195° thermostat.

It's also possible the sending unit or gauge are bad. The easiest way to check is to get your car warmed up to where the gauge shows hot and measure the temperature at the thermostat housing with an infrared thermometer.

Back