Anyone running an under-the-hood supercharger?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbrew2

Reaction score
My Car
1973 mustang convertible
Anyone have experience with superchargers on their 351C? I'm retireing at the end of the year and will have plenty of time to play with my 73 H-code vert. I use it as a daily driver and am really happy with it but, you know, you always can find more to do to them.

Currently, I have the idea that a Torqstorm supercharger,  Holley Sniper, Edelbrock Air Gap, Headers, 4R70W trans, and 3.89 gears would make for a significant improvement and still be very streetable without breaking the bank. Plan on initially leaving the original 2V mostly stock internally.  Not trying to build a race car, just for fun and a little flash at car shows. I've built rip-snorting street/race motors before and went too far so that they just didn't work for daily drivers. Any thoughts?

Im also interested in the torqstorm supercharger, should be bolt on and the battery must be moved to the trunk.

Regards Rob

For kicks i was looking at the Pro Charger and i thought it could be very doable. My thought is that if you didnt have A/C you could also fit it in the drivers side.

I dicided to keep a stockish look and go with a 408 stroker for more power.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

If I was thinking about a centrifugal supercharger I would have to go with a Paxton. Ford and Paxton have been associated since the supercharged '57 312 Thunderbird, and I think Shelby used them on a Mustang or two.

Had a very interesting long conversation with one of the guys at Torqstorm yesterday. I had a number of questions about their product and supercharging a street car in general. Described my car and what I wanted to do and just as importantly what i didn't want to do, namely have to make a bunch of engine mods. I was really impressed that the guy spent a lot of time explaining supercharging in general and in some very technical aspects and not just a sales pitch for their product. 

One item he covered in detail was fuel injection vs carb. He wouldn't recommend any brand but in very detailed comparison of pros and cons, he said that a custom blow-thru carb would out perform a throttle body fuel injection system used in a blow-thru application and be easier to tune and maintain. Really surprised me to hear that as I had assumed that the "self-tuning" of the efi would be better.  The cost of a custom built and jetted carb for my specific application is comparable to the Sniper system

After a 20-30 min conversation, I was convinced that this was going to be feasible for my application with very few other mods required. I haven't seen any other systems specifically for a 351C. Their unit mounts on the passenger side and comes with a pulley for both power steering and A/C.

By the way, this is a small operation of 5 guys, in their 50's, long time hot rodders who seem to rely more on technical support than sales. I was impressed.

Back