proportioning valve switch leak

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got the rebuild kit for my Drum Brake distribution valve, since they aren't reproduced. It leaked less, but still leaked. I switched over to an aftermarket Adjustable Proportioning valve and the brakes work better than they ever have before.

I tried rebuilding the valve and it still leaked past the switch. I bought a new repop and have had no problems other than the bracket that attaches to the valve wasn't installed.

The valves are reproduced now by either Scott Drake or Daniel Carpenter.  Summit Racing has them, and I think NPD, possibly CJ.  Check with Don at OMS too.

I tried the Musclecar Research kit and could not fix mine.  So I was glad to buy a new one.  I found my biggest problem was trying to get the stainless steel brake lines to seat.  

If you are truly leaking out of your warning lamp connector, just order one of those from Muscle car research or someone else.  Worth a try, and a lot easier than the whole valve.

kcmash

The original lines were damn near welded on to my Distribution valve. I don't think they had ever been removed. It took all the force I could exert on the distribution valve with a pipe wrench holding it steady to get the lines off. Never seen anything so tight before. I twisted the lines all up trying to get them off. It didn't matter to me because I was replacing all the lines anyway, but if I wasn't It would have been a mess.

Back