• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to 7173 Mustangs.com and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Chrome mirrors & Hubcap

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found 6 original chrome mirrors on Ebay and every single one of them is LH drivers side. I would love to know what Americans are doing to the RH passenger side mirror for none to be avaiable

I found 6 original chrome mirrors on Ebay and every single one of them is LH drivers side. I would love to know what Americans are doing to the RH passenger side mirror for none to be avaiable

I believe that if you did not have the factory sport mirrors from the factory, you got one driver side chrome side mirror only...
71 vert driver side interior.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

I believe that if you did not have the factory sport mirrors from the factory, you got one driver side chrome side mirror only...
Really :huh:  One mirror only :huh:  How did Ford get away with supplying just one mirror.

Having measured the distance between the holes at 6 1/4 inch i cannot find repop ones. The nearest i could find is 6 inch. I am not drilling another hole in the door. Those sports mirrors look good but need to be twice the size to see anything behind you

Really :huh:  One mirror only :huh:  How did Ford get away with supplying just one mirror.

Having measured the distance between the holes at 6 1/4 inch i cannot find repop ones. The nearest i could find is 6 inch. I am not drilling another hole in the door. Those sports mirrors look good but need to be twice the size to see anything behind you
I have am original 1971 Sportsroof (429CJ) and it only has a chrome drivers mirror.

View attachment 41441

Pegleg, the left side only mirror as standard was something all the American car manufacturers were involved in, not just a Ford thing.  For years  the American car industry was way behind the European's in lighting, actual usable mirrors, etc. 

At least there were options for a right side chrome rectangular mirror through 70 for the Mustang. Most of those mirrors were sourced from the full size Ford cars. Who knows what the engineers were thinking on not offering a chrome right side mirror at all on the 71-73 Mustangs. The model with probably the worst rear visibility of all first generation Mustangs and you had to get the color keyed racing mirrors to get a right side mirror. And...they are not much better. Lol

If I remember correctly you own a 71 Grande. The standard wheel cover for that model is D1ZZ-1130-B. If you want to search by part number you could try online at the usual E-Bay, Amazon, etc sites. I have seen some NOS and some used in really good shape.

You could also check with Don @ Ohio Mustang Supply or Mike @ Motorcity Mustang. They might have some in like new condition  that are looking for a new home.

Good luck with your parts search.   :)

West Coast Classic Cougars show a passenger side for Cougars and Galaxies and has a convex mirror.

https://secure.cougarpartscatalog.com/c7az-17696-c.html?attribs=81

They also have one that fits either side, but has a flat mirror.

https://secure.cougarpartscatalog.com/c7az-17696-.html?attribs=81

Because of the different curvature on the bases I don't know if it will work, the head appears to be the same as the driver side, though. OMS and CJ Pony appear to show the same one, and say it fits the right side, but both are out of stock.

Really. I just go with the flow... All the complaining about what these car's look like, drive like, can't see out of... My philosophy, if you have a license and know how to drive; drive...

West Coast Classic Cougars show a passenger side for Cougars and Galaxies and has a convex mirror.

https://secure.cougarpartscatalog.com/c7az-17696-c.html?attribs=81

They also have one that fits either side, but has a flat mirror.

https://secure.cougarpartscatalog.com/c7az-17696-.html?attribs=81

Because of the different curvature on the bases I don't know if it will work, the head appears to be the same as the driver side, though. OMS and CJ Pony appear to show the same one, and say it fits the right side, but both are out of stock.
Don those only have 5 7/8 hole centres. They would need holes drilling

Really. I just go with the flow... All the complaining about what these car's look like, drive like, can't see out of... My philosophy, if you have a license and know how to drive; drive...
Yeah, I'm sure he can drive, BUT you all seem to be forgetting he's driving on the OPOSITE side of the road in a left hand drive car. He would have zero vision of traffic coming from behind other than his interior (inferior) mirror.

If it were my car, for the sake of safety, I would install the closet looking mirrors available and the biggest and be done with it. Unless Pegleg is going to a concours judged show, no-one (or very few) would know the difference. I think in his case safety trumps correctness.

Another option and something worth looking at is a back-up camera set up to run full time. This is something I'm looking at and thinking a Bluetooth wireless camera would work best. Problem is where to hide the camera for best view. As for the screen, they make an interior mirror/screen combo I believe.

There are options!

Geoff.

1971-1972 that came standard with chrome mirror only came with the driver's side. Not sure about 1973 but probably the same. Guess that's why you can't find one.
1973 years also had one chrome mirror standard. There were other Ford, mercury a d Lincoln models that came with dual chrome mirrors. Some had both mirrors with remotes. You would need to use both the left and right sides so they would match.

Yeah, I'm sure he can drive, BUT you all seem to be forgetting he's driving on the OPOSITE side of the road in a left hand drive car. He would have zero vision of traffic coming from behind other than his interior (inferior) mirror.

If it were my car, for the sake of safety, I would install the closet looking mirrors available and the biggest and be done with it. Unless Pegleg is going to a concours judged show, no-one (or very few) would know the difference. I think in his case safety trumps correctness.

Another option and something worth looking at is a back-up camera set up to run full time. This is something I'm looking at and thinking a Bluetooth wireless camera would work best. Problem is where to hide the camera for best view. As for the screen, they make an interior mirror/screen combo I believe.

There are options!

Geoff.
Geoff well put.

I want to have the luxury of seeing whats coming up behind me. I am going to restore old sports mirrors and use them when i take the car to a show. Thats why i wont compromise with the distance between holes in the door

Mike i need one. I bought a set of four from another member but one had a slight ding in it. If you have one without any dents or scratches i am interested.

There are options!

Geoff.
Geoff well put.

I want to have the luxury of seeing whats coming up behind me. I am going to restore old sports mirrors and use them when i take the car to a show. Thats why i won't compromise with the distance between holes in the door
 I see, good call. You can make your right side mirror glass way bigger than factory, but I'm not sure you'd want a convex on that side. I'm sure you've seem my past post on mirror size upgrade, you can do the same thing, but a flat glass if you wish. Here's a download of the sizes. All you need to do is cut a backer blank out of .050 -.062" aluminium then have a larger aftermarket replacement mirror glass cut to match...…. assuming there is a company that cuts glass near you.

PM me if you want more exact info.

Geoff.

Latest posts

Back