Ok so the ashtray isn't convenient

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep. lots of those mentioned features showed up in the '71 Mustang. The heater location still sucks though. Don't even get me started on the e-brake release.

I have to admit that I am a big fan of the Challenger body style. The ad  pointed out all the improvements that weere to go into our cars over the 1970 version (including the ash tray. Nice ash! LOL) I do not dislike the previous Mustangs but I always thought the fuel tank arrangement on the pre 71 cars was terrible. Interesting video thank you for finding and posting it. 

Ron

I am thinking that Chrysler hired a Ford employee to get the future changes. The design for the 1971 Mustang was pretty solid in about 1967 before Challenger came to light. Pay the money hire an engineer or two from Ford know what is coming and bust ass to beat them. Happened all the time. 

When talking with Gale Halderman he said Chrysler approached him several time but he chose to stay with Ford. He was head designer on Mustang. 

I ask him what Larry Shinoda did for Mustang coming from GM, most think the Boss. He simple said a stripe and took the simulated vents out of the side on the 70 model, Boss was pretty much done before he came in, lol. 

All the companies do it. They all have spies and people trying to pick up on anything they can. 

I was engineering manager at the American Yard Products lawn equipment co. We produced more lawn mowers than anyone else. Back in the 80's we make just over 5,000 riding mowers per day, 20,000 walk behind mowers and 1,000 garden tillers each day. Made over 30 different brands. Monster plant did all the design, stamping, welding, painting and assembly, there was over 100 engineers in product design and we used the latest IBM design software. I had moved to a new job closer to home when I was contacted by John Deere. Deere wanted to get into the low cost mower market, but did not know how. So to get a jump start they hired the head product designer from American Yard Products. So Mike McClain was now with John Deere at their facility in Greeneville, Tenn. He told them to be able to make a low cost mower they needed to get in touch with me to do the tooling. So they did. I helped them redesign walk behind mowers and also the current riding mower they sell at Lowe's and Home Depot. I took about 50% of the parts out of their old design, made it more reliable, easier to assemble and no special tools on the assembly line. Was most successful new product launch in Deere history. The company I worked for got to make all the stampings and most of the welded assemblies. We were about 2.5 hours from their assembly plant. It got my company $60,000,000 in new business. We built a new plant just for them had 11 dock doors, 2,000 ton prog. and transfer press, 800 ton coil fed prog. press and 440 ton coil fed prog. press. I think there were 8 MIG weld cells also. 

Many of the old time Deere Engineers told management it was impossible to do some of the things I came up with. But I knew I could had done in the past. We actually paid for a bus to bring dozens of Deere Engineers to our plant to watch us make the parts up to 3 - 4 times faster than Deere could in their own stamping plant. 

After that project when I walked into a Deere plant the Union Members always filed a complaint they knew someone was going to loose a job if I was there. 

So I am sure some product designer from Ford jumped the fence and took lots of intell with him. In an attempt to stop engineers from taking home designs and info their work computers cannot write files to disc or memory sticks they have no ports. They are isolated on the system usually to prevent that. Do not know what Ford does now been out for almost 10 years. 

When I worked in China only the head designer could write files to a disc or memory stick. Everyone else could only save to the system and no way to pirate info.

Back