1/4 windows

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
71 Mach1 Cleveland 2V
Hi Guys,

well I have a question about the 1/4 windows of my Mach1.

I tried now several times to get them leakproof and always failed.

I tried with new weatherstrips, with silicone and without but they was always leaking.

Is there any hidden secret or do I something wrong?

Or maybe thats normal?

If somebody can help me with a step by step procedure I would appreciate that.

Oskar

From what I gather, these cars are far from leakproof. The seal at the bottom of the quarter windows on my car has an 1/8" gap. I'd say check around the window for any pinholes in the metal and make sure your seals are tight, then make sure the drainholes in the bottom of the body are open. Good luck!

Most of the leaks I've seen are not from the windows, but from the drip rail. The factory foam seal between the drip rail molding and the body dries up and cracks over time, allowing water to enter. To fix it, you have to pull the weatherstrip channel, drip trail trim, clean, scrape and start from scratch. Even then, you're not guaranteed to be leak free.

Most of the leaks I've seen are not from the windows, but from the drip rail. The factory foam seal between the drip rail molding and the body dries up and cracks over time, allowing water to enter. To fix it, you have to pull the weatherstrip channel, drip trail trim, clean, scrape and start from scratch. Even then, you're not guaranteed to be leak free.
Totally agree man! I learned ir the hard way after inatalling everything with no foam what so ever...

After noticing a lake in ny brand new floor mat i took everyting off as it wad evident the leak was between the body and the rail (if you want to do a little test you can flush air with the airgun from the outside and check the specific point that the air pass to the cabin)

I then reasamble the rail not with foam but with windshield silicone negarse my rail was not that perfect to asure a good sealing just with foam... I have abolutly no leaks now!

Hope it helps!!

Back